We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque Terre

Indianola, Iowa
5 posts
Save Topic
Cinque Terre

Me & my daughter are traveling around France & mostly Italy for 2 weeks in June. From what I can tell, Cinque Terre is made up of several towns or villages? We love to hike, bike & be near water. What are some tips for spending 2 days in Cinque Terre? We are trying to keep the budget low. Best sites/things to do that we shouldn't miss? Should we get a hotel in the central part so we can spend one day going one direction & the 2nd day the other direction to explore? We go to Florence, then Cinque Terre for 2 days & then we head to Rome. Just to give an idea of our trip pattern. New to traveling overseas so any tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP Early...
61 Reviews
from USD 375.20*
USD 535.90
Best Seller
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
24,138 Reviews
from USD 74.00*
Best Seller
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
12,131 Reviews
from USD 58.50*
8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,042 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinque Terre

The Cinque Terre are 5 tiny villages that in summer are totally overwhelmed by tourists. By now, it is very unlikely that there will be any accommodation available for June.

In any case, the Cinque Terre are best avoided in June. During the day, the villages are likely to be crowded to the point of being unpleasant.

California
Level Contributor
81 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinque Terre

This might help you. :) https:/…

CA
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinque Terre

Add the 2 nights to Florence and/or Rome. On top of the crowd problem, they require a lot of travel time.

Indianola, Iowa
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinque Terre

We have to go in June so we'll deal with the crowds. I'll have to see what I can find for places to stay. Thanks for the advise though.

CA
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cinque Terre

See booking.com. Plan on spending around 5 hours relocating from Florence and at least 7 to Rome; all this for a single day full, worst if one or more cruise ships are in port.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cinque Terre

We spent 2 days at CT staying at Vernazza in January 2018. We booked a room called Michella Room through booking.com for 180 euro for 2 night. The room is basic but that’s what we need. We arrived at CT at 2:00PM and did our first hike to Monterosso. On the second day, we spent the whole day hike to the opposite direction to Corniglia, Manarola & Riomagniore. It was raining the whole day.

Off course, the situation will be different in July. The town were practically dead when we were there. Only a few restaurants were open, so that’s why we did the hiking because there’re nothing else to do. We practically have the trails to ourselves and didn’t see any souls on the trails.

The next day, we continue our journey to Rome. I didn’t remember how many hours we spent on the train and how many trains that we have to catch, but I do remember it was a full day trip and it was a really long journey. We felt as exhausted as the hiking.

Oakhurst
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cinque Terre

My daughter and I were there in June two summers ago. We stayed in La Spezia which in hindsight was too far out. I would suggest staying in one of the towns. You can hike between the towns and there is also a train that runs between the five towns so you can visit as many as you have time for. We did a hike between two of the towns. It was hot and the trail was crowded but the views were beautiful which made it worth it. We also took the train, walked around the shops and ate a lot of gelato. I’m know you said you’re on a budget, but we did a sunset boat tour from Angelo’s boat tours and and it was a highlight of our trip. I think the CT is well worth a visit.

Indianola, Iowa
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cinque Terre

Thank you for the info. I'll definitely check into that boat tour. That would be fun. We're just trying to keep our accomodation costs as inexpensive as possible but still close to things & good ratings. I have all of our accomodations booked now so we're good there. Now finding some fun excursions to do & sites to see. Thanks for the tip on the boat tour. Appreciate it!

Reply to: Cinque Terre
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted