We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Italy, how does this rough itinerary look please?

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
170 posts
50 reviews
10 days in Italy, how does this rough itinerary look please?

Hi,

We're hoping to go to Italy in either June or July for 10 days. We will be using public transport (train, I guess) rather than hiring a car. Currently thinking something like this:

- Venice (2 nights)

Burano day trip

- Florence (2 nights)

Cinque Terre day trip

- Rome (2 nights)

Possible day trip?

- Naples (3 nights)

Sorrento day trip

Amalfi Coast or Capri?

Any thoughts on this itinerary please? Like I said it's rough, but once I've nailed down the places we're staying I can start booking accommodation and go from there :D

Thank you

Likely To Sell Out
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
81 Reviews
from USD 528.80*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
24,281 Reviews
from USD 73.00*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,184 Reviews
from USD 57.70*
11 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
1. Re: 10 days in Italy, how does this rough itinerary look please?

Looks good, as long as you appreciate that you may only get a broader scope of the bigger cities in 2 day stays. You will have busy days too I guess.

Are the day trips included in the two nights, I.e Cinque Terra for Florence? That seems quite ambitious- you may spend more time on a train than you get to enjoy your trip.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 07:39
California
Level Contributor
12,609 posts
56 reviews
2. Re: 10 days in Italy, how does this rough itinerary look please?

I'm sorry but it does not look good and the reason is you are going to too many destinations for your timeline and will be packing and unpacking, changing hotels and standing in train stations ALL the time. You also have NO time at all for the significant cities with all your day trips and destinations. You are also going in HIGH season and have left your planning to the last minute and you need to know it will be very hot and very very crowded in the popular places. The Cinque Terre will be a madhouse.

According to your itinerary, you have 9 NIGHTS and wish to visit Venice (Burano), Florence (Cinque Terre) Rome (Positano) and Naples (Sorrento/Amalfi Coast or Capri)....you have 4 hotel changes in 9 nights.

Airports: Flying in Venice/out Rome? Flying in Venice/out Naples? You will want to be in your departure city the night before, so if it's Rome, visit Rome last.

Travel Time: 2 nights somewhere does not equal 2 days in a location; it is 1-1.5 days and that's because you have to get there from your previous destination (or airport arrival settle in time). There is travel time in between each change in hotel destination and it always takes more than the posted train schedule. Plan 1/2 day for every 'travel day'.

You have given yourself 1/2 day for Venice, 1/2 day for Florence, 1/2 day for Rome...a day trip is just that; a 'day'. The CT is 3 hrs by train, one way, from Florence so that's 6 hrs travel for a day trip. Positano is not a good day trip from Rome; it is far away.

Significant Destinations: Venice, Florence, Rome and Naples are major destinations with a lot to see and do and very very different from each other. With 9 nights, one can **briefly** visit 3. Venice is not an amusement park where you whiz in and out. This city need t.i.m.e. to get off of the trodden tourist paths. You do not have time to head out to the islands even with 3 nights there *because* it really isn't 3 days in Venice, it's at best 2.5 days.

IDEA for 9 days/9 nights, with travel time, optional day trip*, 3 hotel changes, fly in Venice/out Rome:

--arrive Venice 1/2 day

--Venice 2.5 days/3 nights

--train to Florence 1/2 day

--Florence 2.5 days/3 nights (bus tour Cinque Terre*, 1.5 days Florence)

--train to Rome 1/2 day

--Rome 2.5 days/3 nights

--fly out Rome

Try to think about what you'd like "to experience", rather than what you'd like "to cover".

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: 10 days in Italy, how does this rough itinerary look please?

I agree with chester9cat that 2 nights only gives you one full day at a city. This means that if you spend to nights in Florence for example, and use the full day to take a day trip to Cinque Terre, you are leaving no time to see Florence at all. You may as well not visit Florence, and spend the 2 nights in Cinque Terre instead. You also do not have time for a day trip from Rome, for the same reason.

CA
Level Contributor
11,181 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: 10 days in Italy, how does this rough itinerary look please?

I agree completely, except for the Cinque Terre, which is unpleasantly crowded during the summer; plus it's a very long day. There are much better day trips, if any at all, seeing how you only have two full days.

brisbane
Level Contributor
413 posts
170 reviews
5. Re: 10 days in Italy, how does this rough itinerary look please?

After spending 5 weeks in Italy on my first trip, I would definitely say cut it back to three cities at the most and forget about most of the day trips.

Italian cities are wonderful places with so much to see, you will enjoy yourself so much more if you have a bit more time to see them.

Trains are a great way to get around in Italy, but you still have to get to the train station with enough time to find your platform etc, so yes, all the advice above is really important.

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
798 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: 10 days in Italy, how does this rough itinerary look please?

You are planning this trip for June/July - high season=crowds + heat. Your itinerary said 10 days and shows 9 nights. Have you been to Italy before or is this a first trip? Pick TWO destinations (I suggest fly into Venice and out of Florence). 4 nights in Venice gives you 3 days so one could easily be a trip out to the islands of Murano and Burano. 5 nights in Florence gives you 3 1/2 days (travel there takes a 1/2 day) but you could still arrange a day trip out to Lucca or Pisa, a wine tour etc. This will barely give you a taste but will be MUCH less hectic than your proposed itinerary.

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
170 posts
50 reviews
7. Re: 10 days in Italy, how does this rough itinerary look please?

Thank you, so if I ditch the Cinqe Terre day trip we should be good to go? :)

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
170 posts
50 reviews
8. Re: 10 days in Italy, how does this rough itinerary look please?

Wait, sorry that reply was just to the first one. I didn't see all of the other replies!

Will definitely avoid Cinque Terre and not do any day trips from Rome. Would the following still be too hectic?

- 2 nights in Venice (maybe a trip to Burano)

- 2 nights in Florence

- 2 nights in Rome

- 3 nights in Naples (day trips to Sorrento/Capri)

We've both already been to Rome, my wife would like to go back which is why I've included it. But maybe if we're really pushed for time we could do 3 nights each in Venice/Florence/Naples.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,171 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: 10 days in Italy, how does this rough itinerary look please?

Two nights in a location gives you a single full day there. You have 9 nights or 8 full days. Cut out half. Visit two cities and take the time to enjoy them. More than that means you spend more time changing locations than actually in the location.

Donna

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
170 posts
50 reviews
10. Re: 10 days in Italy, how does this rough itinerary look please?

Thank you! I think 3 nights would be enough for me personally in each city so we could just drop 1 (probably Naples) and then consider the day trips when we’re out there :)

Reply to: 10 days in Italy, how does this rough itinerary look please?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted