We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning for next summer help please

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
682 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Planning for next summer help please

Hi my friend is just back from Italy on a school tour she's a special needs assistant so her time was very limited to sightsee as she was kept very busy but over the ,3 days they covered Venice Verona and gardaland at lake Garda but she suggested we go next summer and see more of that area and travel a bit over the 2 weeks any suggestions for itenerary we want to stick to that area we don't want to go down as far as Rome as we've been before any help much appreciated btw we are 2 women in our late 40s we won't be driving and we love traditional little towns and wine !! Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
3 replies to this topic
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
201 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning for next summer help please

Hi, my Northern Italy picks would be:

- the Garda lake (2-3 days: Sirmione, Desenzano, Malcesine, Riva del Garda)

- the south Tyrol wine road + the Dolomites (most beautiful mountains ever, believe me)

- Milan and Como lake

- Vicenza and the Palaldian villas

- Mantova (beautiful Unesco town) + boat trip on Mincio river (you could actually get down to Ferrara)

- Bologna + Ravenna (last imperial Roman capital) + Ferrara (renaissance jewel) - the 3 are Unesco sites

- You may get to 5 Terre, but it's going to be awfully crowded in summer town - honestly I would skip it

Then, of course, Florence and Tuscany, but that's a completely different area.

You won't be able to see all these destinations in 2 weeks, but at least you have a long list to start from.

Enjoy your trip planning

JP

www.delightfullyitaly.com

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Garda
Garda
Hotel Desenzano
Hotel Desenzano
350 Reviews
Desenzano Del Garda, Italy
Malcesine
Malcesine
Riva Del Garda
Riva Del Garda
Province of Trento, Italy
Hotel Tyrol
Hotel Tyrol
283 Reviews
Selva di Val Gardena, Italy
Dolomites Inn
Dolomites Inn
105 Reviews
Canazei, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Como
Como
Lake Como, Italy
Vicenza
Vicenza
Province of Vicenza, Italy
Ferrara
Ferrara
Province of Ferrara, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Ravenna
Ravenna
Province of Ravenna, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
California
Level Contributor
11,987 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning for next summer help please

Hi...you have a nice amount of time before your trip in summer of 2019...why don’t you get an appealing guidebook and have a good read, making notes of what interests you...paper, pencil, highlighter at the ready...perhaps a yum glass of Italian wine...have some pasta dinners with your friend and compare notes....Since she had so little time in Venice, I would recommend that Venice be on the itinerary but this time with no fewer than 3 nights (2-2.5 days)..Venice needs t.i.m.e, especially in order to get off the trodden tourist paths of San Marco and the Rialto.

Venice, Bologna, Lucca, Siena are just a few possibilities, not necessarily all in the north yet quite easily visited on the efficient trains Keep in mind that there is travel time in between each change in destination and it’s always more time than the posted train schedule. Plan 1/2 day for every travel day, which means that 2 nights somewhere does not equal 2 days in the location. It is 1-1.5 days and that’s because you have to get there from your previous destination.

Be cognizant of your airports. For example—you wish to visit Venice(4N), Bologna(3N), Lucca(3N), and Florence(4N w day trip to Siena). You might fly in Pisa and train directly to Lucca, then Florence, then Bologna and finally Venice with departure from there. You will wish to be in your departure city the night before.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 04:01
Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Plan
Plan
300 Reviews
Trento, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
682 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning for next summer help please

Thank you both so much that’s a great start and great ideas you’ve been very helpful much appreciated

Reply to: Planning for next summer help please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted