We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pickpocketed in Milan train station, what should we do?

4 posts
Save Topic
Pickpocketed in Milan train station, what should we do?

We are a newly wed couple from Singapore in Europe for our honeymoon holiday and Italy is actually our 3rd destination. We were in Venice, Florence which were both beautiful and free from any trouble. However the same can't be said in milan. I think we were too comfortable with Florence and Venice we thought that Milan would be the same, after a long time spend in the train we were doing our transit via the metro train. As my wife got into the train and carrying the extra baggage into the train, she got pushed inside future by a couple of people that cut between us. Just before the train door closes, I checked my back pocket and to my horror I saw someone trying to pickpocket my back pocket wallet. I slap the hand off the small girl and moved to the middle of the train. As I try to find my wife to warn her, I saw 2 person talking to her one pregnant woman, so pregnant that she is probably gonna give birth the next day. Next thing I know, my wife shouted and slapped the pregnant lady's hand. Some money dropped onto the floor and while trying to sort out what was going on, 2 well dressed lady cut between us and crowded us in italian, which we do not understand, using hand gesture they made us feel Confused and even seem to point out how could we hit the pregnant lady. Next thing we know the 3 girls (2 young one) and the one who tried to Rob me from behind got off the train, the 2 well dressed old Italian lady got off the next train. All this happened within 5 min.. I guess we wrote this to warn others from experiencing the same. Becareful when your travel to Europe. They could be using kids, elderly or pregnant lady to Rob you. This is a really bad experience towards the end of Italy trip

Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,993 Reviews
from USD 72.20*
Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
48 Reviews
from USD 365.90*
USD 522.70
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,086 Reviews
from USD 57.00*
5 replies to this topic
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pickpocketed in Milan train station, what should we do?

Oh I forgot to add that as a result we lost more than 1k worth of euro. The pregnant lady already took most of the money and put it into her pocket.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pickpocketed in Milan train station, what should we do?

Hopefully, you reported it to the police. There are likely security cameras around in there and though they may not find these thieves, you never know if it might help them in doing so.

Also, you would likely need the police report for your travel insurance in the event they would cover such a loss -

So sorry this happened to you -

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
17,455 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pickpocketed in Milan train station, what should we do?

Yes, very sorry this happened to you.

For everyone else reading, for what feels like the thousandth time, NEVER put anything of value into a backpack while traveling. NEVER! Use it to carry guide books, travel info, sunscreen, water, etc. but nothing you could not easily replace. Your valuables (money, credit cards, passports, etc.) must ALWAYS be kept in a secure location. Backpacks are not secure. Your back pocket is not secure. Your front pocket is not secure, no matter how sensitive you think you are ... you will not feel a pro going about their business.

p b
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
487 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pickpocketed in Milan train station, what should we do?

A money belt or similar under your shirt , yes a bit awkward at times but it works , its very unfortunate its happened to you , hopefully at least insurance will help , provided you have a police report , it doesnt take away the bad feeling but its something .

4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pickpocketed in Milan train station, what should we do?

We did make a police report,but seems like the local police only took brief details of the crime. They don't seem interested to pursue more or maybe because of the language barrier.. They didn't allow us to complete the report. There's a section that asked us to describe the criminal but he told us to. Leave it blank. I do not think they are interested to catch the criminal..

Reply to: Pickpocketed in Milan train station, what should we do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted