We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental out of Rome

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental out of Rome

My wife and I are needing to rent a car (I'm thinking in Rome) for part of our trip. We will leave Rome (June 2nd) heading towards the Chianti region for a couple of days and then head to Monterosso al Mare afterwards.

My question is what is the best way to do this? Where should I rent and drop off? I have read driving out of Rome can be hectic. Would it be best to take a train to Florence and then drive down to Chianti? Or should we rent a car in Rome and drive to Chianti? Also, where would be a good place to return the rental, as I am under the assumption the driving around Monterosso al Mare is a no-go? Another thing to keep in mind is I believe June 2nd is a holiday, so I was unsure if the trains would even be working if we wanted to catch a train to Florence and rent a car from there.

I hope that gives you enough information.

Thanks for your input!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Monterosso al Mare
Monterosso al Mare
Cinque Terre, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,963 Reviews
from USD 71.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
44 Reviews
from USD 520.00*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,078 Reviews
from USD 56.80*
5 replies to this topic
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
39,162 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental out of Rome

I would rent in Rome and drive from there. You can rent cars from near the train station and easily get on the highway. Do not drive into any towns you plan on visiting. This will get you huge fines. Check with the rental company first to see if there is a drop off fee for returning to another location.

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,382 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental out of Rome

The driver can get their required Int'l Driving Permit from your local AAA ($20 or so), you don't have to be a member.

aci.it/laci/driving-in-italy/driving-in-ital…

Also, the driver should be aware of Italian driving laws, ZTL's, etc.

http://driventoit.blogspot.com.au/

https:/…Driving.In.Italy.html

www.viamichelin.com will give you an idea of time/distance/costs.

GPS will not show ZTL's or cameras.

CA
Level Contributor
10,835 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental out of Rome

We arrange our cars through Autoeurope by calling them up. The station to which Donna refers is Roma Termini, drive to the Chianti area around 3.5 hours [routes on www.viamichelin.com].

Yes, driving around Monteropsso is discouraged, and crowds in June another concern. You say "a couple of days." If only a full day before getting rid of it, all the trouble of getting a car may not be worthwhile.

Re "driving into towns" read this about driving in Italy:

http://driventoit.blogspot.com.au/

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Roma
Hotel Roma
838 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental out of Rome

Thanks for the feedback thus far. If I were to rent out of Rome, where would you recommend dropping off the rental? We really just need to get to Chianti and then back to a major city to get to Monterosso al Mare. Would La Spezia or Pisa be ideal? I do have my international drivers permit.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Monterosso al Mare
Monterosso al Mare
Cinque Terre, Italy
La Spezia
La Spezia
Province of La Spezia, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,348 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental out of Rome

If you are going to Monterosso, drop the car at La Spezia and take a direct train from there.

Mentioned in this post
La Spezia
La Spezia
Province of La Spezia, Italy
Reply to: Car Rental out of Rome
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted