We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I thought train seats do not often sell out?

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
621 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
I thought train seats do not often sell out?

however looking at trains from Rome --> Salerno in July there are multiple sold out trains including the 11:26am departure.

the prices are also kind of high.

what gives?

Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP Early...
61 Reviews
from USD 375.80*
USD 536.90
Best Seller
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
24,148 Reviews
from USD 74.10*
Best Seller
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
12,134 Reviews
from USD 58.60*
5 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,139 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I thought train seats do not often sell out?

It probably isn't that they are sold out, it's more likely that not all trains are in the timetable/ available for booking! There's a big Europe-wide timetable change on 9 June which is affecting what you see in the schedule for after that date.

As to why you are finding the prices "kind of high", that may have more to do with your expectations than anything else, so no idea how to comment on that. It could be that those trains that are in the schedule are so far only available for booking at the BASE price, but I don't know whether that is what you are seeing.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,714 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I thought train seats do not often sell out?

There are currently no sold out trains between Rome and Salerno in July. However the Intercity trains (including the 11.26) are in the timetable but not yet available for sale.

The prices for the available trains are normal. The supersaver tickets at €19.90, when not sold out (which many are already for some trains) are excellent value for travelling 150 miles in 1h 24.

However Intercity trains, when they become available, will often cost less as they are slower and older than the trains already on sale. Their Supersaver tickets will be €9.90 until sold out.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 00:55
3. Re: I thought train seats do not often sell out?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2018, 18:37

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,714 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I thought train seats do not often sell out?

You could also look at Trenitalia's competitor https://www.italotreno.it/en , which has a 12.15 departure which will arrive only five minutes after Trenitalia's 11.26, and still has prices at €9.90 on some July dates.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,072 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I thought train seats do not often sell out?

The shopping cart with a line through means that tickets are not yet on sale, not that the train is sold out.

Reply to: I thought train seats do not often sell out?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted