We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good rural but accessible places in Italy

Cardiff, United...
8 posts
1 review
Good rural but accessible places in Italy

Hi - my husband and I want to visit Italy. We would like to stay somewhere rural near the coast, and neither of us is keen on driving much abroad. Can anyone recommend a place which isn't too far from an airport, with nice amenities and beach in eady reach? Asking a lot I know! Thank you

5 replies to this topic
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
22,838 posts
7 reviews
58 helpful votes
1. Re: Good rural but accessible places in Italy

Italy is a long country with lots of coastline, so to cut down the options, first of all please tell us which airports you can fly to from Cardiff (+ Bristol if that is also ok for you, i.e. with convenient flight times)

Also when are you going, as that will affect suggestions? Also, is this a "beach holiday", planning to laze on the beach and swim?

We visited Sardinia over New Year and it is very beautiful., but it is expensive to stay there in the summer months, so your budget matters too. We flew to Cagliari, in the south. Alghero and Olbia are the other two airports

Edited: 14 May 2018, 16:43
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
22,838 posts
7 reviews
58 helpful votes
2. Re: Good rural but accessible places in Italy

Puglia is beautiful too, Bari and Brindisi are the airports. You could look on Puglia forums to get ideas. Lots of people manage there using just public transport (although when we went we did hire a car)

Other airports in cities on the coast, in no particular order, would be Pisa, Rome, Ancona, Trieste, Naples, Venice, Genova. And Catania and Palermo in Sicily

London
Level Contributor
3,195 posts
29 reviews
27 helpful votes
3. Re: Good rural but accessible places in Italy

Lots of places really, from the usual Tuscany to the new fashionable ones like Puglia.

I oftern recommend something rather unusual (for the English speaking world) which is the Romagna area. Fly to Rimini Airport from Stansted (Saturday and Tuesday with Ryanair) and you are 15 minutes walk from the beach.

If you don't want to drive you could stay in the small town of Santarcangelo for example and be in Rimini or Riccione in 10 minutes train: emiliaromagnaturismo.com/en/…

If you have a car you a lot more options, for example the little village of San Giovanni in Marignano, 10 minutes drive to the beaches and entertainment in Cattolica.

If you want something prettier, but more touristy you could also consider staying in Gradara or Gabicce Monte. In both case you won't need a car since the bus service to the beach is very good:

http://www.gradara.org/english/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g227590…

The most beautiful rural places (Verucchio, San Leo, Longiano, Pennabilli, etc.) require too much driving for somebody that wants to be near amenities and the beach. They are great though for day-trips.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
22,838 posts
7 reviews
58 helpful votes
4. Re: Good rural but accessible places in Italy

Missed Rimini, sorry. If there is no flight from Cardiff or Bristol, you might find flying to Bologna an option (Ryanair do it from Bristol). Rimini is an hour by train from Bologna Centrale, and the airport is a short bus ride from the station

We were in Puglia late April last year, so not beach weather and no crowds but in high summer it will be very busy . The Italians perceive Puglia mainly as a beach destination....whereas we saw lots of Germans on cultural tours when we were there!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
22,838 posts
7 reviews
58 helpful votes
5. Re: Good rural but accessible places in Italy

Maybe Puglia is newly fashionable, but I'd been wanting to go for more than 30 years! And wasn't disappointed. There are quite a few posts on Puglia forum with recommendations of nice places to stay for a beach holiday, and lots about getting around just by public transport

The official tourism website is a mine of information https:/…The-sea-calling

I found this website very useful too www.italyheaven.co.uk/puglia/index.html

Reply to: Good rural but accessible places in Italy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted