We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me divvy up my nights for trip to Italy

Tri-Cities...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Please help me divvy up my nights for trip to Italy

I need help in deciding how many nights to stay at all the places along the way. It will be me and my wife and will be going in mid-May next year; right now we have 19 nights planned, here's what I have so far:

We'll start South and work our way North

Naples/Pompeii 4

Rome 5

Florence 3

Milan 3

Venice 4

However I am trying to squeeze in Cinque Terre and Siena, but don't know how long to spend at each, or whether to take some days off one of the cities above and just stay in CT or Siena themselves.

Please give me your opinion on the matter, I might consider 20 nights, but really I have to stop sometime right?

Thank you!

2 replies to this topic
CA
Level Contributor
11,491 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Please help me divvy up my nights for trip to Italy

Time spent in cities is somewhat determined by what you intend to see and do. This is a handy site for all cities:

https://wikitravel.org/en/Rome

I wouldn't add any more stops. Siena is an easy day trip from Florence, but you have only two days there as it is. This means zero, but I would scrap Milan, traveling on a straight line to Venice. Or, into Venice and out of Naples or Rome [train time Florence to Naples 2:52; Naples to Rome 1:10] if that would be better based on flights.

California
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
56 reviews
2. Re: Please help me divvy up my nights for trip to Italy

yes, one does unfortunately have to stop at some point but I have a few thoughts here:

As Francophool recommends, I also feel you could let Milan go, in favor of adding Siena from Florence and yes!, including the fabulous city of Bologna....

Are you flying in Naples?

IDEA for 19 days/19 nights, with travel time, optional day trips, fly in Naples/out Venice:

--arrive Naples, 1/2 day settle

--Naples 3.5 days/4 nights (day trip to Positano, 2.5 days Naples)

--train to Rome 1/2 day

--Rome 4.5 days/5 nights

--train to Florence 1/2 day

--Florence 2.5 days/3 nights (day trip Siena, 1.5 days Florence)

--train to Bologna 1/2 day

--Bologna 2.5 days/3 nights

--train to Venice 1/2 day

--Venice 3.5 days/4 nights

--fly out Venice

It is 'city-heavy' but they are all wonderful destinations....you could take a day trip from Rome to Umbrian hilltop Orvieto and a day trip from Venice to Verona or the islands but honestly, both cities deserve as much time as you can muster. You will be going in high season so be prepared for massive crowds in Florence and Venice. Do get off the trodden tourist paths in Venice (San Marco and the Rialto)...allow time to wander her neighborhoods. There are treasures everywhere and if given half the chance, Venice can be magical. Enjoy your trip!

This is the Quadrilatero historict district in Bologna. We stayed in the perfectly located Albergo Drapperie which was right smack dab in the middle of it all. Wonderful.

travelphotodiscovery.com/bologna-highlights-…

Edited: 14 May 2018, 09:40
Reply to: Please help me divvy up my nights for trip to Italy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted