We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go on the Tuscan coast (and avoid mosquitos)?

Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Where to go on the Tuscan coast (and avoid mosquitos)?

Hey!

My boyfriend and I (both 30) are driving around Tuscany in the end of July. We are going to Firenze and the Chianti district, but we also want to spend some time by the sea.

Since we're flying in and out of Pisa, we have to be able to drive from the costal town to Pisa in about half a day, preferably less.

I guess everywhere is pretty crowded this time of year, but do you have any suggestions on where to go where we're less likely to run into our next door (Norwegian) neighbor?

We've been looking into the Maremma region, Livorno, Rosignano Solvay (Castiglioncello?) and Elba island, but everything I find online says different things, and I'm frankly quite confused.

We're looking for a place close to the sea that has a lot of charm, great sea food, nice sandy beaches or cliffs that we can walk or bike to and as little mosquitos as possible (I'm allergic).

All the places above are starting to get fullt booked (airbnb and hotels) so frankly I'm starting to get a bit stressed.

Crossing my fingers that some of you in the forum are able to help. Thank you in advance!

2 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Where to go on the Tuscan coast (and avoid mosquitos)?

Bump

California
Level Contributor
12,728 posts
56 reviews
2. Re: Where to go on the Tuscan coast (and avoid mosquitos)?

Why don't you look at Tellaro...a beautiful, small fishing village in Liguria situated in the Gulf of Poets, which is just down a bit from the Cinque Terre. We were there in May 2016 so I do not know about mosquito in July. Best seafood, lovely destination but I'm sure will be popular as you are traveling in high season.

Take a look:

https://www.miomyitaly.com/tellaro.html

Hike to abandoned villages:

https://www.apathtolunch.com/2012/06/forgott…

Do be aware of the driving restrictions in Italy....and what the ZTL zones mean or you could receive hefty fines if you are not attentive...

Reply to: Where to go on the Tuscan coast (and avoid mosquitos)?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted