We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Italy destinations for solo traveler

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Southern Italy destinations for solo traveler

I have an extra 4-5 days after a conference in Tuscany early month and I want to spend it in southern Italy. I'm flying out of Rome afterward. Where would you recommend going for a few days solo, avoiding the most touristy destinations?

I want to be near the coast with some historical/cultural places to visit and great food, but I think this covers most of Italy!

2 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,599 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern Italy destinations for solo traveler

Not understanding why being solo would impact choice of destination.

Go wherever looks of interest to you - do you want to go further south than Campania? Which coast? There are the islands as well - a good guidebook will hep clarify your many great choices.

If you want a city as part of this, consider Naples -

Your question is very broad and, if possible, can you clarify how a destination would be more or less desirable as a solo traveler? I'm confused by that - that would help people make useful suggestions

Edited: 13 May 2018, 02:16
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern Italy destinations for solo traveler

Sorry for the confusion; you're right that being solo doesn't really affect the destination choice - other than being accessible by train or bus, rather than having to rent a car. Also, while I'm an experienced traveler, safety is always a concern.

I'm mostly wondering whether there are any "hidden gems" in southern Italy that I should consider. Most resources I've come across are saturated with the usual Florence/Rome/Venice/etc destinations. I'm certainly thinking about Naples/Amalfi Coast but I'm concerned that it's very touristy, and I've also considered flying to Palermo or Catania in Sicily, though I won't have enough time to do it justice.

Reply to: Southern Italy destinations for solo traveler
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted