We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carrying instant pot, rice and dal to Italy trip

3 posts
carrying instant pot, rice and dal to Italy trip

Hi,

We are planning almost 3 weeks trip to Italy. I plan to carry a small instant pot cooker and some rice/lentils/spices for cooking occasionally as we cannot eat Italian food for 3 weeks. Has someone carried them before and are there any restrictions? Also any suggestions on what indian grocery we can carry to help with vegetarian cooking with less effort.

thanks,

24 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,235 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: carrying instant pot, rice and dal to Italy trip

If you can't eat Italian food for 3 weeks, I have to wonder why you are going to that country for that length of time! I hope you are staying in self-catering apartments. I don't know what you mean by "instant pot cooker" (if this is for something instant, like pot noodles, why would you need any sort of "cooker"?!)..if you mean a kettle for making instant noodles or some sort of immersion heater, be aware that you would be violating fire regulations by using these in a hotel room. If you mean some sort of camping gas cooker, you can't use that either, and you should also check the rules of your AIRLINE as regards what you can take on the plane.

As to what foodstuffs you can bring into the EU, apart from any endangered species of plants etc., the only prohibited items are meat and dairy products (see "restrictions of particular interest to international passengers" under https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/individuals/travelling/entering-eu_en). If you have any doubts about what you are bringing, then on arrival in Italy it would be safest to take the red channel at Customs and tell them what you have.

As you put this question in the forum for the whole of Italy and have not said which cities you are visiting, you can hardly expect recommendations for any specific "Indian grocery"! But in any case, you can find fruit and vegetables at any market or supermarket and rice, lentils and spices in any grocery or supermarket.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
973 posts
2. Re: carrying instant pot, rice and dal to Italy trip

Qaminari, an instant pot is essentially an electric pressure cooker with additional functionality. "Instant pot" is a brand name.

OP, I hope you're not staying in hotel rooms, which don't even allow clothes irons as it's against the fire code. Even in an apartment you run a very high risk of plunging the whole building into darkness by using such an appliance.

Turin
Level Contributor
9,561 posts
1 review
3. Re: carrying instant pot, rice and dal to Italy trip

Do you really think you can't get rice and lentils in any supermarket? Where are you from, the Gobi desert?

Incidentally, if you still speak of "italian food" it means you know nothing about "italian food".

Edited: 12 May 2018, 08:48
Level Contributor
834 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: carrying instant pot, rice and dal to Italy trip

Your pot will not work here if it isn't the european model with the right voltage.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
100 reviews
5. Re: carrying instant pot, rice and dal to Italy trip

‘Italian food’ is part of the xperience. I wouldn't go to India and bring pasta and prosciutto with me...

Agree with previous posters about not being allowed to use cooking appliances in hotel rooms and, anyway, you’d likely have a voltage issue.

There are some indian restaurants, it’s not a hugely popular cuisine, but you will find some.

If you are staying in an apartment, rice and lentils can easily be found in any supermarket.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: carrying instant pot, rice and dal to Italy trip

Ooh, two of my favorite topics have just collided -- Instant Pot and Italy travel! I am not sure you can take your Instant Pot on an airplane. At least in the US, it would be a dicey proposition to try and an airline might easily reject it. There are a lot of threads in the Instant Pot Facebook forums about that. You would not want to lose your instant Pot to airport security. Plus, of course, the voltage issue is a factor. If you really want to do your own cooking, I would just plan on renting an apartment and doing regular stove-top cooking. A little bit of convenience is not worth hauling heavier luggage around.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,016 posts
141 reviews
7. Re: carrying instant pot, rice and dal to Italy trip

So sad to hear that you " we cannot eat Italian food for 3 weeks" Italian food is the best in the world (well also is Greek, French/Provence, Spain, etc)

First you will not be able to use your cooker as the smell will be a tell tale that you are cooking and they usually do not allow it unless you are in a self catering place.

Don't go to Italy stay in India where there is good Indian food

California
Level Contributor
12,729 posts
56 reviews
8. Re: carrying instant pot, rice and dal to Italy trip

bonjours...necessary?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,141 posts
76 reviews
9. Re: carrying instant pot, rice and dal to Italy trip

There are "Instant Pot" Facebook forums? Seriously? What is the application of the Instant Pot?

CA
Level Contributor
11,400 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: carrying instant pot, rice and dal to Italy trip

To #9:

https:/…

Reply to: carrying instant pot, rice and dal to Italy trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted