We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can't I bring DLSR camera?

Tracy, CA
Level Contributor
257 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Where can't I bring DLSR camera?

Hi everyone. A little over a month to go...... Quick question for you all with regards to camera being allowed at certain places, below is a list of where we're heading. I have a relatively small size DLSR that I'm looking forward to taking thousands of pictures in Italy with. I know the Sistene Chapel does not allow cameras, nor does the Vatican Scavi tour, so the day we go to the Vatican I plan to leave the camera in the hotel safe. I'm not sure about other places, so any feedback based on your experiences and knowledge will be helpful.

Venice : St. Mark's Basilica, St. Mark's Campanile, Doge's Palace

Florence : Uffizi, Accademia, Duomo Museum, Duomo dome, Palazzo Vecchio

Siena : Cathedral (Gate of Heaven)

Rome : Pantheon, Castel Sant' Angelo, Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill, Borghese Gallery

Thanks in advance, Happy travels!

Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,980 Reviews
from USD 72.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
48 Reviews
from USD 365.90*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,082 Reviews
from USD 57.00*
7 replies to this topic
G M
Level Contributor
168 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can't I bring DLSR camera?

If there's a 'no photo' policy it includes mobile phones, but this is often not enforced - you'll see people blatantly disregarding the no photo rule, but it's not respectful. Take a 50mm lens with you as some museums that do not allow 'professional' lenses (ie no zoom) will allow them. Very often tripods aren't allowed, but you can use bean bags or octopus devices for stability in a lot of places with no problems. I've had no issues with a handheld DSLR and telephoto lens anywhere else.

Tracy, CA
Level Contributor
257 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can't I bring DLSR camera?

Yes, was only planning to bring my 18-55mm lens. As always, am very respectful of the establishments policies on photography. With a mobile phone, if there's a no photo policy, it can easily be held in secure pack under our clothing. I can't conceal the DLSR, so am just afraid that I'll be denied entry because it's hanging off my shoulder even if I won't take pics. Having to head back to the hotel and drop the camera off would be disruptive to our itinerary, so thought I'd see if there were any specific places where I wouldn't be allowed to take it.

Thanks!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,280 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can't I bring DLSR camera?

You don't need to have it slung over your shoulder, just bring a small bag of some sort that you can crunch in your pocket. Actually most places it's a NO FLASH policy.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,877 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can't I bring DLSR camera?

I've never had a problem with any lens on my DSLR in any place in Italy. They don't ban cameras, but they may ban taking pictures. Tripods are not allowed inside any place that I'm aware of, and in places such as St. Peter's Square, or the Colosseum, if you're seen by a cop they'll tell you to take it down. However, late at night when taking time exposures of St. Peter's or the Colosseum I've never had a problem using a tripod.

G M
Level Contributor
168 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can't I bring DLSR camera?

@Jerry M they don't allow telephoto lenses of any description inside the Castello Sforzesco museum in Milan. I'm sure there are other places. OP, while a photographer knows an 18-55 isn't a 'zoom' lens, I doubt if the guards there would have let it through. I take two lenses, a 16-300 and a 50mm, just in case. That said I've only had to use for that specific reason that one time.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,957 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can't I bring DLSR camera?

18-55mm doesn't look like much of a zoom lens. But in general, DSLR's are allowed in just about every place. Just be sure to respect the no flash, no photo, or no tripod policy.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
39,246 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can't I bring DLSR camera?

I've never had an issue with any glass I've brought and I've brought some pretty good sized ones. You can carry your camera with you everywhere that's I've ever visited (I've not been to Milan so wont' comment on that). There are rules about flash and some sites don't allow any photography but all will allow you to carry your camera. Most of the time mine is slung across my body and not in a bag.

Some sites in Rome will allow the camera to be carried but won't allow the bag inside, such as the Borghese gallery. Everything else you listed for Rome won't have an issue with you having and using your camera. Just be sure to follow the signs posted on what is or isn't allowed.

Donna

Reply to: Where can't I bring DLSR camera?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted