We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sudden change in Trenitalia schedules for July. Please help!

Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Sudden change in Trenitalia schedules for July. Please help!

For the past few weeks I've been building our itinerary in Europe. We have several "transfer' days in Italy in early July and I'd plan what we want to see in Genoa, Milano, Pisa, estimate time needed, and then would find train times that'd work best. I put these train times in my spreadsheet and often would print the train schedule from the Trenitalia website. So I'm absolutely sure I didn't imagine the dates and times that I chose. :)

Last night I went to check some connections on Trenitalia and see that many of the trains are simply not there now.

E.g. my printouts show the following from Genoa to Milan 8:18-9:55 or 9:18-10:55. Now Trenitalia on that date shows nothing between 7:21-9:00 and 11:23-12:50. To add more confusion RailEurope shows a train at 7:50-9:40.

Even more confusing is Milan to Monterosso part. I remember first finding connections on Trenitalia that would have 3 minutes in Genoa, so I called Trenitalia few weeks ago to ask if there is enough time and was advised that it was a direct train with a 3 min stop in Genoa but no train change. Now I don't see any trains from Milan to Monterosso, moreover - nothing from Genoa to Monterosso. So I called Trenitalia. Response: there are no such trains. The only way to get from Milan to Monterosso is to go to Parma, then to La Spezia, then to Monterosso. :o

There's nothing showing between Cinque Terre Villages. That's impossible, right?

Trains from La Spezia to Pisa and Pisa-Florence are now significantly fewer.

I'd think there might be a glitch on the website, but Trenitalia reps are standing by this new status.

Has anyone encountered the same?

Sorry, I'm not sure if this is a question for this forum, or for Trains?

Or rather for a psychiatric one? :) - I feel like I woke up and my neighbors house is not there, and no one remembers it or them. But I have photos of them and their house. :) Like I have printouts for those train times for my dates.

23 replies to this topic
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,488 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Sudden change in Trenitalia schedules for July. Please help!

There is ALWAYS a schedule change in mid June. The schedule won't change by much but it does change. Do not use "rail europe" for booking or information, they don't show all trains.

Check the schedule in early June. By then pretty much all of the new schedule should be loaded. The trains that are not there right now will probably have a slightly different time. The fastest trains are loaded first with the slowest trains, the regional ones, being loaded last.

Donna

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: Sudden change in Trenitalia schedules for July. Please help!

There will be a schedule reset in June, don't worry about it as whole swaths of trains will not disappear. There may be small adjustments but nothing as huge as hours of trains simply taken off the schedule.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Sudden change in Trenitalia schedules for July. Please help!

You're not in the Twilight Zone, but great post about it anyway! Some of the most knowledgeable experts here will be able to provide you with explanations and reassurances related to the seasonal schedule tweaks. Your neighbors will reappear.

Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Sudden change in Trenitalia schedules for July. Please help!

Thank you, dbabe and elstravels. I'm testing different days and see that the change occurs on June 16. In other words all my trains are still there on June 15, but gone on June 16. I wonder, what if I had bought those trains last week, what would have happened with the change?

So you are saying that in few days there will be an update, and those trains are likely to reappear? Worst case they might be few minutes off? I'm asking because I have a pretty tight schedule and want to buy some tickets in cities, e.g. Duomo Milano fast pass, which is valid only for certain times.

I really don't want to sacrifice my half day detour to Milan, but if there are no direct intercity trains from Milan to Monterosso in midday, I won't be able to make it. :(

Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Sudden change in Trenitalia schedules for July. Please help!

@PWMW, special thanks. :)

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,488 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Sudden change in Trenitalia schedules for July. Please help!

You should never book tickets if you have a tight schedule. Trains are not always on time, they run late often. On my trip in January the majority of the trains I took were between 15-60 minutes late. If I had tight tour times I would have missed the majority of the things I had booked.

Donna

Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Sudden change in Trenitalia schedules for July. Please help!

Oh Donna, wow! I'd expect delays, but I thought within 5-10 minutes. 60 minutes is ... impressive! :)

So the best strategy will be to have the schedule app and monitor it close to the arrival/departure time? If I'm say in Genoa and the train shows 30 min delay, then I will be able to see quite a lot extra near Piazza Principe not to waste time. :) But then the question is whether apps reflect accurate status.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,967 posts
79 reviews
8. Re: Sudden change in Trenitalia schedules for July. Please help!

I agree with Donna..

Tight schedules are not a great idea in Italy - especially when relying on trains. We don’t use the trains very often but last time we did - from Santa Margherita Ligure to Lucca - the train was delayed (twice!), we missed our connection in Viareggio and arrived in Lucca an hour and a half later than we had anticipated...

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
43 reviews
9. Re: Sudden change in Trenitalia schedules for July. Please help!

It makes some sense to book capacity controlled trains (IC, Frecce) but there's no point in booking a regionale train in advance, just buy the ticket when you arrive at the station. It becomes "live" when you stamp it on the track before entering the train. A ticket purchased on line is already activated and has a set usage time.

Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Sudden change in Trenitalia schedules for July. Please help!

Many thanks, folks, this is very helpful. Do delays show accurately in real time online? Then it'll be easier to play by ear. But main MAIN question, is it possible that the train is sold out, and I'm stuck?

And is there any pattern, like morning trains run more on time than evening? Or it all is charmingly spontaneous? :)

Reply to: Sudden change in Trenitalia schedules for July. Please help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted