We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash or card

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Cash or card

I like to keep track of my spending. I would like to change my AUD to Euro before I leave for Italy. I would also take a small credit card for emergencies. I plan to carry enough money each day for food drinks etc. is it ok to do this in Italy or should use ATM,s when I need money.

Thanks for the advice

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
10 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,331 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash or card

Do not carry a significant amount of cash. If it gets lost or stolen, your holiday is ruined. Take a debit card and get money out of ATMs. It is safer and the exchange rate is better.

To get cash overseas, open a Citibank Plus bank account, which comes with a Mastercard debit card that has no overseas ATM withdrawal fees and an excellent exchange rate. For larger purchases, get a 28 Degrees Mastercard which has no fees for overseas purchases (in person or over the Internet) and again an excellent exchange rate. ING now offers debit and credit cards that can be used with no foreign transaction fees, but with monthly minimum transaction requirements. All these cards have no account fees.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash or card

Why would an ATM card be an different . It could get lost or stolen too. I intend to keep most of the cash in the room safe

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash or card

Yes an ATM can get stolen, but you can call the bank immediately and put a stop on the card. If your money gets stolen, you can't retrieve what's lost.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,214 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash or card

Both in your party should carry both a debit card and a credit card and keep them in a money belt along with our large cash denomination bills and passport (must have it on you at all times by law).

And if you think room safes are safe, they are not. Room safes have a master pass code that hotel staff know.

We checked into our room and found the safe locked, called the front desk and they had the cleaning lady come an open it with a master code. I don't call that safe.

Leave your money in your bank account at home. Get 200 to 300 Euros to start with at home and then use your debit card and/or credit card. It's the safest and most practical way to handle money.

As to keeping track, just keep your receipts which you probably do now being so detail specific

London
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash or card

There cannot be an easier way to track spending than a credit card or debit card account! keep cash for the tiny transactions.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,924 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash or card

I agree with Sydneynick. We got both the citibank card and the 28 degrees card and it worked perfectly for us. There are ATM's everywhere, it was very easy.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash or card

Thanks everyone for your help. ..., looks like ATM is the best option

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,331 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash or card

>> I don't call that safe.<<

It is unlikely that hotel staff will steal from room safes. The police would notice a number of theft reports from the same hotel, all without forced entry to the safes.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash or card

What about a travel card ???

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,331 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cash or card

The pre-loaded travel cards sold in Australia are not good value. They have a poor exchange rate, so you pay around 6% to put funds onto the card. That is why the airlines and big banks push them so hard.

Follow the advice in reply #1.

Reply to: Cash or card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted