We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 days in Tuscany in late july

Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
9 days in Tuscany in late july

Hi!

My boyfriend and I (both 30) just booket tickets to go to Tuscany this summer. We fly in and out of Pisa (since this was the only place where we could get reasonably priced direct tickets) and plan to rent a car, at least for parts of the trip. We want a mixture of beautiful scenery, a lot of wine and food, a bit of horseback riding, one bigger city and hopefully some swimming as well. And spagetti congolese! We want a relaxing trip, so we're thinking just three proper stops. Culture in the form of nice buildings is not our first priority for this trip, but if there's something one just HAVE to see, that would be nice to know.

So, this is the provisional itinerary:

Day 1: Land in Pisa around 11 in the morning. Rent a car or get the train to Florence.

Day 2: Florence

Day 3: Florence, then drive to an agriturismo somewhere like the Chianti-district (suggestions are appreciated) in the afternoon.

Day 4 - 5: Stay at the agriturismo, drive around for wine tasting, horsebackriding etc.

Day 6: Drive to the coast. I'm thinking Castiglioncello?

Day 7 - 8: Relax by the coast.

Day 9 - Drive to Pisa. See the tower. Get the plane back to Oslo in the evening.

So, what do you think? Are we far of? Anything that should be included or excluded? I guess my biggest concern is that we'll end up in some kind of holiday hell at the coast. I've read alot of good things about the Maremma region, though this might be a bit of a long drive? What do you think?We've also considered Elba island instead of the coast, but this might be a bit far as well?

We are not on the biggest of budget, hoping to spend 100 euros or less a night for accommodation. For eating we like to splurge, but for this trip we're hoping to indulge in typical italian food and local dishes rather than tasting menus and michelin stars. Though I must admit that it was after watching Master of none (and of course Call my by your name) we decided to go to Italy (yes, I know they're set farther north).

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions. We're up to change it as long as we still fly in and out of Pisa.

Thank you in advance

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
La Maremma
La Maremma
884 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Elba Island
Elba Island
Province of Livorno, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,963 Reviews
from USD 71.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
44 Reviews
from USD 517.80*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,078 Reviews
from USD 56.50*
7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 days in Tuscany in late july

Do not rent a car for the Florence leg of your trip as you cannot drive within Florence and don't want to risk getting fined. Go to Florence first and then rent the car at the Florence Airport which is outside of the ZTL zones. You should plan at least three nights in each location which would leave you 2.5 days. Coastal areas in Italy are crowded during the summer -- unfortunate fact.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Italy
Italy
Europe
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,689 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 days in Tuscany in late july

Yes, Do rent the car after your visit to Florence. From Florence, then take the SR 222(Wine Road) just to the South of Florence into Chianti.

Have a look at Greve area(www.greve-in-chianti.com) or www.booking.com. There are a number of nice rentals in this area in your price range

After Chianti, then drive to the Maremma coastal area. It's not a long drive and the beaches there are lovely and less expensive than the other areas.

Have fun with your holiday planning.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Wine Road
Wine Road
153 Reviews
Milan, Italy
La Maremma
La Maremma
884 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 days in Tuscany in late july

Good tip about the car, thanks!

So you'd reccomend Maremma over Liguria or Elba? If we only go to one town in Maremma, where shoukd we go? Key words: swimming and sea food.

Mentioned in this post
La Maremma
La Maremma
884 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Elba Island
Elba Island
CA
Level Contributor
10,839 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 days in Tuscany in late july

The Florence airport complex is a short distance away at Via Palagio degli Spini, reached by cab.

https://www.discovertuscany.com/maremma/

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,689 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 days in Tuscany in late july

If you choose a beach town near Livorno then pick Forte dei Marmi, but will be quite busy during the Summer.

A nice beach town in Liguria would be Levanto which has a large beach and beach side swimming pool. www.levanto.net

I would choose Maremma, and the town of Castiglione della Pescaia for the beach and town. I think that you will find better value in this area.

Mentioned in this post
Livorno
Livorno
Forte Dei Marmi
Forte Dei Marmi
Province of Lucca, Italy
Levanto
Levanto
Italian Riviera, Italy
La Maremma
La Maremma
884 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Castiglione Della Pescaia
Castiglione Della Pescaia
Province of Grosseto, Italy
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 days in Tuscany in late july

Sorry, I mixed up Liguria and Livorno. I don't think we'll make it as far as Liguria, even though it looks amazing.

So what do you think about a town like Castiglioncello? I read somewhere that it's quite charming and less crowded that the other of the costal towns and that the beach next to it, Vada, is free and gorgeous.

Mentioned in this post
Livorno
Livorno
Castiglioncello
Castiglioncello
Rosignano Marittimo, Italy
Vada
Vada
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,689 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 days in Tuscany in late july

I haven't been to that beach area, but you have the car so if you don't like one beach then there are many other nice ones in that area which you can escape.

Reply to: 9 days in Tuscany in late july
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted