We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in Italy in October, Rome to Trieste by train

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
3 weeks in Italy in October, Rome to Trieste by train

Hi,

I have been looking through various tips already posted, so much information - thank you to everyone who posts.

Am looking for tips as to good places to base myself for several days at a time and take day trips from there. The list below is too long and needs to be cut back...at least cut back to a few base places to stay.

I'm there for 3 weeks, will be traveling by train where possible, then heading to Berlin.

I have an art history background, so part of the trip is to take in some key museums and architecture in Rome/Florence/Padua and maybe Ravenna. I do get museum fatigue though, and I don't like touristed places, so there is only so much sight seeing I can do.

My second aim for Italy is walking in Italy.

I have based a lot of these places around a book I have on walking in Italy so I can just experience Italy.

The basic plan is something like this:

Fly into Rome

Possibly a trip to Sperlonga then:

Rome-Assissi : (other options for either staying or day trips: Perugia umbria, spoleto, spello, foligno)

Assissi - Siena

Siena-Radda

Radda - Florence

Florence-Bologna (Or Florence to Ferrara and do day trips to Ravenna and Bologna)

Bologna-Ravenna

Ravenna-Ferrara

Ferrara-Padua

Padua-Trieste

Trieste - Verona-Milan

It's a long list, but I actually just want to make things as simple as possible and enjoy my time rather than tick boxes. Any tips on really good places to base yourself would be appreciated, and tips on what could be cut off the list to make it easier and more pleasant to plan and travel.

Also, my Italian is poor, which is major consideration.

Many thanks.

8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,144 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: 3 weeks in Italy in October, Rome to Trieste by train

If you want to enjoy your time rather than just tick boxes, do not try to see 13 places in three weeks! But only you can decide which places to cut, as this depends entirely on your interests and priorities.

The fact that you do not have good Italian does not matter. Millions of people who have no Italian visit Italy each year. Just about anyone who comes into contact with tourists has enough English to be able to do their job.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,814 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: 3 weeks in Italy in October, Rome to Trieste by train

Pace your itinerary to what you want to experience

Regions www.italia.it/en/discover-italy

Trains www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

Flights to Berlin www.easyjet.com

Accommodation www.booking.com www.bed-and-breakfast.it

CA
Level Contributor
11,362 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: 3 weeks in Italy in October, Rome to Trieste by train

Yes, way too many stops--plan at least three nights in each location. I suggest you definitely eliminate Milan, travel one way to Venice [Trieste questionable]; fly Venice to Berlin non stop on Easyjet or Ryanair.

CA
Level Contributor
11,362 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: 3 weeks in Italy in October, Rome to Trieste by train

Ryanair flies to Berlin out of Verona, but I mentioned Venice because they are connected by train in a little over an hour; Venice a wider choice of flights. Time spent in the places you choose can be determined by what you wish to see and do [or in some cases doing nothing but relaxing]. Good links here on Venice:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18787…

For all cities use wikitravel for lots of info, e.g:

https://wikitravel.org/en/Rome

https://wikitravel.org/en/Padua

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
5. Re: 3 weeks in Italy in October, Rome to Trieste by train

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Because I need to book everything in advance and I haven't been to Italy before I was really just looking for some suggestions about which places of those listed above, or maybe places nearby one of those listed above, are good places to base yourself from so that I am booking 3 or 4 nights per place, not one night here and one night there. I can then decided once I'm there what I will keep and what I will cull from the list. Milan is one place I have to go to as I am meeting a friend there, so I will probably fly out of Milan, but Verona or Venice are good options too, thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: 3 weeks in Italy in October, Rome to Trieste by train

I think Bologna is a good base for visiting a number of places such as Ravenna and Ferrara, and maybe even Padua.

Ravenna is worth visiting, but it is on a regionale line, so it is a less convenient base. It is not impossible though, I did a day trip to Ferrara from there, but I think Bologna gives you more options since it is a major rail hub and you can get to more direct trips from there.

CA
Level Contributor
11,362 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: 3 weeks in Italy in October, Rome to Trieste by train

Padua/Padova is a fabulous town, train time from Bologna an hour.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
8. Re: 3 weeks in Italy in October, Rome to Trieste by train

Thanks for the replies. Bologna and Padova sound like good bases for my purposes.

Reply to: 3 weeks in Italy in October, Rome to Trieste by train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted