We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Group Tour or by ourselves?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
100 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Group Tour or by ourselves?

Hi All

My wife and I are planning a trip to Italy for April next year. We had thought of doing a tour but can not find a suitable option. Our Plan is to spend 2 nights Venice 3/4 nights in the Florence area were we could do day trips from to Florence, Cique Terre, and a Tuscan Winery tour 1 night somewhere between Florence & Rome (any recommendations?) and 3/4 nights in Rome.

We have travelled on our own before in other countries.

My questions are

Are trains the best option for transport?

Were is a good base to stay around the greater Florence area?

Any tips on the best way to do this on our own?

Any tour recommendations?

Appreciate any help you can give us, have always found Trip advisor a great source of information when planning previous trips/

Thansk

Peter

12 replies to this topic
Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
798 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Group Tour or by ourselves?

Please reconsider your itinerary. 2 nights in Venice is one full day - Venice deserves at least 3. If you are in Florence for 4 nights, which gives you 3 full days, you plan on day tripping out each day. When do you explore Florence? You can easily travel by train from Venice to Florence and then to Rome. Hopefully you are flying into Venice, or at least Milan and then flying out of Rome. Exactly how much time do you have?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
100 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Group Tour or by ourselves?

Thanks for your reply, we will have 10 -12 days plan is to fly into Venice, flight we have looked at arrives mid morning. Itinerary is just a guide would we be better to go 2 nights Florence, 1 night Cique Terre, 1 night Lucca or similar??? or say 4 nights Montecilla and trip from there?

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
798 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Group Tour or by ourselves?

10-12 days is barely enough time to get a taste of the "Big Three" - Venice, Florence and Rome and if you take some day trips out - say for a Tuscan wine tour or trip to Pisa from Florence, or a trip to Pompei from Rome then you are really cutting yourself short. 3 hotels, 3 cities in that time is a packed itinerary but at least doable. I would knock Cinque Terre off the list and just make a day trip to Lucca. Less packing and unpacking means more time for sightseeing and leisurely dinners. :-)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
100 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Group Tour or by ourselves?

Thanks for your reply.

Can you recommend any tour companies that do day trips from Florence?

Will relook at options and how much time we can have available

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
798 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Group Tour or by ourselves?

I don't personally take tours but here is one that looks very interesting: https://www.tuscanyprivatetour.com/en/ and if you check out TA I am sure you will find others.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,663 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Group Tour or by ourselves?

CT is most beautiful but very time consuming getting there and back.

With so little time just do Venice, Florence and Rome. If you really want to do a day trip then take the train from Venice to Florence and stop in Verona on the way and then from Florence to Rome and stop either in Pisa or any other town on the route.

You really need to reconsider your plan. This is a case where less is more.

CA
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Group Tour or by ourselves?

Not Verona; IMO the best place to stop [on the way] is Padova, a wonderful town:

https://wikitravel.org/en/Padova

There is baggage storage [deposito bagagli] on Platform 1.

Here is the route of the train, the same route later going to Rome [bin. = platform]:

http://www.e656.net/orario/treno/9407.html

Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Group Tour or by ourselves?

I am in the midst of planning a similar trip later this year. I started out thinking 10 to 12 days, but as I really plotted out all that I wanted to do, I ended up with 14 nights (plus 1 night to fly over from US.)

We are flying into Venice spending 4 nights there, taking train to Florence spending 5 nights there (planning winery tour too, haven't decided which one yet and maybe a day trip to Lucca), and taking train to Rome spending 5 nights there. And I feel like I will barely be scratching the surface of those cities/regions. We thought about squeezing in another town (Sorrento), but it was just too much logistically with packing/unpacking, trains and hotels. Sometimes less is more!

Happy trip planning!

Boston...
Level Contributor
259 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Group Tour or by ourselves?

You say you have 10 to 12 days. Does that include your two travel days? If so, then you have 8 to 10 days on the ground. You must also think in terms of nights not days. So do you have 8, 10 or 12 nights? If you have 8 to 10 nights one suggestion would be to fly into Venice, stay 3 nights. Then travel by train ( a bit long. I'm thinking you may have to switch trains once or twice) to Monterosso Al Mare and spend 2 nights then travel to Florence and spend the remainder in Florence. Save Rome for another time. If you have 12 nights skip the Cinque Terre and spend 3 nights Venice, 5 nights Florence and 4 nights Rome. Which is more important for you to visit? Rome or the Cinque Terre? No matter what you plan you will be in Italy, so enjoy.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
100 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Group Tour or by ourselves?

!0 - 12 days excludes travel days ie time on the ground we are going to Paris for 5 days after italy.

Reply to: Group Tour or by ourselves?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted