We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid autovia and doyouitaly

Mirleft, Morocco
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid autovia and doyouitaly

Disgusting liars and thiefs, autovia. Don't ever, EVER do business with. Upon pickup, we got a dusty car. Of course we checked it briefly, and we discovered 2 rather big things not mentioned on the paperwork. Keep this in mind when I go on with my story. During our trip, two unknown Italian b*stards damaged our car on 2 different occasions with minor scratches and dents without leaving a note. Be honest, what are the bloody f**king odds in 9 days??? For this, we took responsibility, our choice not to fully insure. But because we had to return the car when Autovia at Bergamo was still closed, we could not talk with them about it. Afterwards, they send us an email where they pinned 3 more tiny damages, very small dents that were absolutely not there when we returned the car, and/or were under the dust when we got the car. So tiny, that you wouldn't see them unless you look very closely. Which they did now and now are trying to let us pay for it. But remember, we discovered 2 rather big things on the car which they apparently "missed" in their ridiculously rigid check the previous time. In other words, if we would not have seen these 2 damages upon pickup, they would hace let us pay for those too. We've rented many, MANY cars in our life, from all different kinds of rental companies, but autovia makes its living out of scamming not fully insured people with pre-existing damages. Nothing more than common thieves, so please: avoid at all costs or insure completely. Because from back home, they screw you over and there is nothing you can do about it. Very, very bad, hope justice will serve them quickly in the worst way possible.

Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
59 Reviews
from USD 373.70*
USD 533.80
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
24,130 Reviews
from USD 73.70*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,128 Reviews
from USD 58.30*
5 replies to this topic
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
39,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid autovia and doyouitaly

Unfortunately, when you return the car out of hours you are still responsible for it until it's checked in by the attendant. This means if someone else damages the car you are still responsible for it.

**they send us an email where they pinned 3 more tiny damages, very small dents that were absolutely not there when we returned the car, and/or were under the dust when we got the car.**

Clearly you cannot claim the damage was there when you picked up the car so you are responsible for it. It is the responsibility of the renter to check the car and notate ALL damage, not matter what may be stated on the damage report already. The fact that you found two other damaged areas but not the 3 new ones suggests that this damage occurred while you were responsible for the car.

This is NOT any type of scam or theft. You booked a car, it was damaged, you didn't buy extra insurances and now you must pay for the repairs.

Donna

NY
Level Contributor
3,875 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid autovia and doyouitaly

How much are they charging you?

Actually, the odds of getting scratches/dents in two different occasions over 9 days are not that long in Italy. How do you know they were Italians that did it?

Dropping off a car at a closed office is of course not a good idea. Maybe feel lucky it was not stolen.

Mirleft, Morocco
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid autovia and doyouitaly

They charge 750 euro. And what do you mean, not a good idea, do you really figure WE had options at 6 am???? We had to fly at 0800. And they didn't mention at the time of booking that they didn't have a 24 hour service, so maybe act smart with someone else.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
39,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid autovia and doyouitaly

No one is acting smart except you. YOU chose to book your return flight at 8am, not me! The website tells you what the location hours are. I don't know of any 24 hour rental places in Italy, though I haven't visited every location yet!

As I said earlier, it is NEVER a good idea to return a car out of business hours. You are still responsible for it and it can get damaged. For the amount of damage you have admitted was done I really don't think 750 euros is a lot of money! Next time get the extra insurances and book a later flight.

Donna

CA
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid autovia and doyouitaly

Guess what happens when you put Autovia in the search box above? All kinds of negative reviews.

Then go to the rating site:

https://www.apathtolunch.com/2014/12/car-ren…

They are one of the very worst, to be avoided at all costs.

Reply to: Avoid autovia and doyouitaly
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted