We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do alone in rome

6 posts
Save Topic
What to do alone in rome

Hey all, I'm taking my first ever solo trip! I do have a friend in Rome but she might not be available when I'm out there due to exams or won't be available all the time. So just in case does anyone have any recommendations on where to go and what to do? I want to make the most but I'm on a bit of a budget too. Also if anyone has a hotel recommendation too that would be great! I'll be out there the end of September

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
4 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,546 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do alone in rome

Do whatever you want to do. No difference than with someone or solo. No one cares if your are on your own.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
39,191 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do alone in rome

I agree. Being on your own gives you more freedom to do and see what you want than when you're traveling with others. Get a good guide book and start reading up on the city. If you come back with a list of sites we can help you with an itinerary.

Donna

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do alone in rome

Do you want to stay in a hostel? This one near Termini gets high reviews here on TA:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g18…

The other neighborhoods you might look at are Trastevere or Monti. You can check www.booking.com and use their filters.

Mentioned in this post
Trastevere
Trastevere
13,291 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
17,417 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do alone in rome

Rome is a great place for those on a budget because there is so much available free, including all of the amazing art in Catholic churches throughout the city.

My first trip to Italy was solo, I knew no one and spoke not a word of Italian but I had a great time. Spend a little time learning basic words and phrases you'll need for transactions and you'll be fine.

As for how to spend your time, Rome is one of the great open air museums so plan to spend a lot of time just walking around taking it all in. Spend some time with a guide book or two and figure out what is most important to you so you can prioritize your spending.

Check out the Beehive as a place to stay, but it books up fast and early: https://www.the-beehive.com/

Convent stays are another budget alternative, especially if you're willing to take a room with a shared bath vs. a private one.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
The Beehive
The Beehive
969 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Reply to: What to do alone in rome