We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Matera or Lecce?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Matera or Lecce?

Hi helpful Tripadvisors! Could you help me make a decision? We (group of 5 women) are going to Ostuni next week for three days and have one day to explore somewhere but I don’t know where. Matera has always interested me because of the ravine and the sassi but I hear Lecce is lovely too. I want somewhere to spend the bulk of the day wandering around in a beautiful environment, having a bite to eat and perhaps doing a bit of shopping (not just fashion but foods/art etc). Where would you suggest?

Mentioned in this post
Ostuni
Ostuni
Province of Brindisi, Italy
Matera
Matera
Province of Matera, Italy
Lecce
Lecce
Province of Lecce, Italy
Ceramiche Cascio
Gift & Speciality Shops
Ferraino Souvenirs
Gift & Speciality Shops
4 replies to this topic
Save Reply
1. Re: Matera or Lecce?

It's a no brainer. Go to Matera, it's an unbelievable place, absolutely unique. You will love it.

Lecce is a nice Barocco town, but not quite as impressive. Plan a full day to visit it all.

www.delightfulyitaly.com

Mentioned in this post
Matera
Matera
Lecce
Lecce
Province of Lecce, Italy
Barocco Hotel
Barocco Hotel
3,178 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,180 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Matera or Lecce?

Both are interesting places to visit, why not both

Edited: 10 May 2018, 17:17
London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Matera or Lecce?

Thanks! I had planned Matera but wondered if there was enough to do for a whole day. The reason I thought I couldn’t do both was because I thought they would be too far away to each other to cover comfortably in one day. Is this not the case?

Mentioned in this post
Matera
Matera
cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,800 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Matera or Lecce?

I wouldn’t try and do both in one day.. we stayed four nights in Matera last October and could have stayed longer.

Imho, one day is not enough - but it would certainly give you a taste of this amazing city..

Mentioned in this post
Matera
Matera
Reply to: Matera or Lecce?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted