We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Train option to & from Cinque Terre & Venice-Florence?

Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Train option to & from Cinque Terre & Venice-Florence?

I am planning a trip to Cinque Terre as part of my 3 week Italy trip at the end of June to Mid-July.

I plan on going to Cinque Terre from Pisa, or potentially Florence and than will travel from Cinque Terre to Rome by train??? I'm having trouble booking this early on the trainline.com site, even thought it says you can book 3 to 6 months in advance.

What is the best option for train routes and which city in Cinque Terre should I travel to first, if I am planning on splitting my stay there in Manarola and Vernazza??

Lastly, I plan on also taking a train from Venice to Florence. If i'm staying close to St. Mark's in Venice and near the Duomo in Florence, what are my best options of the stations I should be booking to and from?

Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP Early...
58 Reviews
from USD 371.90*
USD 531.20
Best Seller
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
24,125 Reviews
from USD 73.40*
Best Seller
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
12,126 Reviews
from USD 58.00*
2 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,935 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Train option to & from Cinque Terre & Venice-Florence?

There is a timetable change on 10 June, and most local trains are not yet online past that date. These trains cannot be booked or sell out, so buy tickets from Florence to the Cinque Terre when you get to Florence.

There are no cities in the Cinque Terre. They are 5 tiny little villages that are overwhelmed by tourism in the summer. Quite frankly, I would strongly suggest you avoid taking a day trip there in June or July, as during the day the villages are likely to be crowded to the point of being unpleasant. If you have not yet booked accommodation, it might be difficult to find by now.

You need to book from Firenze SM Novella to Venezia S Lucia with either www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en or www.italotreno.it/en

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,086 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Train option to & from Cinque Terre & Venice-Florence?

You will not be able to appreciate why the Cinque Terre became so (too) popular if you go in July. Save these tiny villages for the off season when they are wonderful.

Reply to: Best Train option to & from Cinque Terre & Venice-Florence?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted