We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days in venice

Toronto, Canada
12 posts
Save Topic
How many days in venice

Hello, we are going to Italy for our honeymoon for 11 days in July (its our 1st time there) we will arrive in Rome on july 23rd and leave from Rome on august 3rd, the plan is to go to rome - venice - sorrento, is one day enough in venice or should we make it two ?

thanks,

Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,980 Reviews
from USD 72.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
48 Reviews
from USD 365.90*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,082 Reviews
from USD 57.00*
12 replies to this topic
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,694 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days in venice

You should allow two full days for a visit to Venice. Remember, Venice is in the North of Italy and Sorrento is South of Rome; so you will have a long travel time between these two destinations.

CA
Level Contributor
10,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days in venice

There is a direct train from the FCO airport at 11:08AM and 3:08 [the later one arriving at 7:23]. That may sound like a lot, but you get on and off relaxing along the way. The journey is only 42 minutes longer than one from downtown Rome.

Another option would be Sorrento first, train to Naples [2 hours with a change downtown] and a train or private transfer. Back to Naples, train time to Venice is 5 hours.

Without flying into Venice, IMO spending all this travel time is really questionable. You could skip Venice, combine Sorrento with a town on the Amalfi coast, travel by ferry, then a ferry to Salerno and a train to Rome.

CA
Level Contributor
10,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days in venice

There is a direct train from the FCO airport to Venice at 11:08...

Toronto, Canada
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days in venice

i heard there is much more to do in rome than venice so we were thinking of doing 5 days in rome and 1 in venice and end the trip with 3 days in sorrento to relax but i will consider the 2 days in venice, if i fly from venice to napoli then go to sorrento (no airport in sorrento) would i be saving time ? and would i find good deals on plane tickets in july ?

appreciate the advices thanks

CA
Level Contributor
10,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days in venice

It might interest you to know that with non stop flights on Air Canada, it is cheaper to fly open jaw, into Venice and out of Rome, then a round trip to Rome, and that's without the added train fares. Of course you might have cheaper multi-stop flights.

So you are suggesting 4 full days in Rome, 1 in Venice and 2 in Sorento [7] and 4 travel days and hotel changes.

Venice to Naples it is better not to take the train [5:08 at 7:25am] then to fly.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
49,356 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days in venice

You have been given some very good advice, Venice for one day I feel it is not worth it, personally, I would cut out Sorrento, as much as I love it, Rome has such a lot to offer, but so does Venice,

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,897 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days in venice

I would choose Venice over Sorrento, especially in July. Fewer places means more relaxing and more in depth enjoyment.

Level Contributor
353 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days in venice

All will be crowded for you, lots of tourists. Remember that two nights equal one full day. I would NOT go to Venice for 1 day. It is spectacular city. I, too, would drop Sorrento. 3 nights Venice and the rest in Rome. And, if you can fly into Venice and out of Rome (someone said it is cheaper) then you save time. That would be the best of both worlds.

Toronto, Canada
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days in venice

I already booked tbe flight tickets to rome on july 23 and leaving rome on august 3rd, i have 11 days and travelling will be around 2 days between all 3 destinations so that gives me 9 days, i would like to visit all 3 places since its my 1st time then decide which places i liked more to visit in the future if i can

ok here is what iam thinking: day 1: arrive to rome at 1pm

day 2: rome

day 3:rome

day 4: rome

day 5: rome to venice, spend the rest of the day there

day 6: venice

day 7: venice to sorrento or positano

day 8: sorrento or positano (relax on the beach)

day 9: visit capri for day trip

day 10: sorrento or positano (relax)

day 11: back to rome and spend the rest of the day in rome

day 12: head to the airport in the morning

Iam thinking of going to positano instead of sorrento as we are looking for beaches, nice scenery to relax at the end of the trip

What do you guys think? Appreciate all your advices

CA
Level Contributor
10,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days in venice

I've advised you to stay in Rome only once. Landing at FCO, there is a train to Naples at 3:08 [or the next one a half hour later] with a change downtown arriving at 5:13. From there you can get a driver to your Sorrento hotel for €80.

However you want to stay in Rome first. For €48 you can get a taxi straight to your hotel. For €20 less you can take the Leonardo Express to the Termini Station, and go on from there [Naples where you are not going takes 70 minutes]. If the Tibertina station is closer to your hotel the fare is €16.

Leaving Venice, direct trains to Naples at 7:25 and 10:25 take 5:08. To get to Posiitano, the preferred route is through Salerno and a ferry. Salerno changing at Naples extends the journey to 6:17.

Handy Venice tips on this old thread:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18787…

Reply to: How many days in venice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted