We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Add Rome to this itinerary or ... ?

Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Add Rome to this itinerary or ... ?

Husband and I are fairly well traveled but have not yet been to Italy. We are planning a trip in October, probably mid-October although I am still finalizing dates. We are planning to start in Venice, then move onto Florence and then spend a few days driving around the countryside of Tuscany. (Our vacation last year was driving the Peloponnese so we've already done the international driving permit thing, etc. before).

If we were going in September I would likely add Cinque Terre to this trip and save Rome for a southern Italy trip in the future. However, I think the weather at Cinque Terre in October sounds questionable and unpredictable. (Due to the way my husband earns vacation days, we can't go until October.)

This therefore had me thinking of adding Rome but I want this to be a relaxing trip as well and three hectic cities might be overwhelming. I know this is highly subjective but wanted to see people's thoughts and whether I'm missing a particularly excellent destination to add to this that I haven't thought about. Or Tuscany looks diverse enough maybe we should add days there and spend more time exploring like with the Peloponnese??

We plan to spend 14 days total, including travel time from the US. We are 30s, interested in art and history but also just enjoying the culture, people, food, wine, etc.

My favorite parts of the Peloponnese (just for comparison and so you can see why I'm struggling with this) were Nafplio (a city, though of course nothing like Rome) and Gerolimenas (a tiny fishing village).

8 replies to this topic
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,472 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Add Rome to this itinerary or ... ?

I think with 14 days an only visiting 3 cities you should be fine. Make a list of what you want to see and do in each city and base your number of nights per city off of that.

Donna

British Columbia
Level Contributor
965 posts
98 reviews
2. Re: Add Rome to this itinerary or ... ?

Yes, I agree - 14 days should be great to see all of the above. I would do Venice 2 days, Florence and area 4 days, Cinque Terre 3 days, Rome 4 days. That is only 13 so you can add from there.

Venice in my opinion, only needs 2 days, I could stay a week in Rome and Cinque Terre each. Florence I have only been once and only spent 2 days but next time I go back (2019) I will spend at least 4 days. I have been on many cruises with Florence (Livorno) as a stop.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,472 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Add Rome to this itinerary or ... ?

I wouldn't visit the CT in October, save it for the summer months.

Donna

Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Add Rome to this itinerary or ... ?

Agree, Donna, that’s my concern about Cinque Terre on this trip.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: Add Rome to this itinerary or ... ?

Everyone has their own opinion. I think Venice deserves MORE than 2 days! You really need to read up on what you would like to see in all the cities to determine how many days to spend in each of them. I would skip Cinque Terre and then add days to the others where you can do day trips from... Vernice you can go to Padua or Verona. Florence you can go to Sienna...

Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Add Rome to this itinerary or ... ?

Thanks, sushi3. We definitely want to savor the trip and not be racing around.

California
Level Contributor
12,722 posts
56 reviews
7. Re: Add Rome to this itinerary or ... ?

hi....how many nights do you have sleeping in Italy...14? You can squeeze Venice, Florence, Tuscany and Rome into a 14-night itinerary. October is a lovely month to travel and you certainly would not wish to visit the Cinque Terre in September. Definitely leave it off if you wish for time in Venice, Florence, Tuscany and Rome.

MANTRA

1 night somewhere does not equal 1 day; it is 1/2 day and a big headache

2 nights = 1 day and rushing everywhere

3 nights = 2 days and starting to catch your breath

4 nights = 3 days and getting happy

5 nights somewhere = 4 days becoming a regular at the local cafe

IDEA for 14 days/14 nights, with travel time, fly in Venice/out Rome:

--arrive Venice 1/2 day settle

--Venice 2.5 days/3 nights

--train to Florence 1/2 day

--Florence 2.5 days/3 nights

--rent car at airport and drive to countryside destination 1/2 day

--Tuscany 3.5 days/4 nights

--return car at Chiusi, take train to Rome 1/2 day

--Rome 3.5 days/4 nights

--fly out Rome

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: Add Rome to this itinerary or ... ?

Chester9cat: Love your Mantra!

Reply to: Add Rome to this itinerary or ... ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted