We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 Day Southern Italy Itinerary Help

Maputo, Mozambique
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
8 Day Southern Italy Itinerary Help

Hi all,

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Italy and are overwhelmed by all of the options! My husband will be in Sicily (Stagnone) for a month in June for kitesurfing and I will join him at the end of his trip. Unfortunately, I only have 8 full days (not including our arrival and departure days). I'm planning to fly from Rome to Palermo, Sicily and we will travel together by land back to Rome. I'd love any advice. We are thinking about renting a car, driving up the Amalfi Coast, stopping in Pompei and spending the last 3 days in Rome. With only 8 days, how do you suggest dividing up our time and where along the route should we stop?

We're most interested in food, cultural and historical activities, more food and beautiful landscapes. We live at the beach, so we're not concerned about beaches/swimming.

We know we won't be able to see everything this trip, so are interested in seeing what we can realistically cover in 8 days and save the rest for the next trip!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,963 Reviews
from USD 71.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
44 Reviews
from USD 517.80*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,078 Reviews
from USD 56.50*
1 reply
Maputo, Mozambique
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 Day Southern Italy Itinerary Help

Hi all,

We have a little more info on our itinerary now. Posting below for feedback. I know it's extremely tight, but this at least give us a few days in Rome. The stop in Hang Loose Beach isn't a must have--we just need somewhere to stop between Palermo and Amalfi! If there are other suggestions for where we could stop this evening, please share. Any other comments/advice appreciated!

June 24: 8:30am, Arrive in Palermo

25: Drive to Hang Loose Beach (5 hours); kite

26: Drive to Amalfi Coast (stop in Paesteum along the way)

27: Amalfi

28: Midday, depart Amalfi for Pompeii; end day in Rome

29: Rome

30: Rome

1: Rome

2: 6am, depart

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Palermo
Palermo