We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for August

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for August

I have just managed to finally convince work to give me a week off in August and would like to plan a trip to Italy.

I have been a few times but only stayed in one place - I have not been to Tuscany/Florence area.

I would love to start by flying into Rome and spending at least 2 full days there. Can anyone advise where to go after after here and how long I would need in each place?

Of course I understand I am only going for 7 days and will only see a small fraction of the country but where should I go from Rome. Personally I would prefer to go North but if anyone can think of anywhere down south to go I may change the plan.

I also understand Italy has great transport - are trains the best way of getting around?

Any advice is welcome - Thankyou.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,963 Reviews
from USD 71.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
44 Reviews
from USD 517.80*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,078 Reviews
from USD 56.50*
1 reply
London
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for August

Thomas - where did you stay previously? What are your interests?

If you are only there for a week, I wouldn't do more than two destinations and then I would make sure that they are not so far apart that you lose the best part of a day to travel. You could easily base yourself in Florence for the entire time - enjoy it at your leisure and then take a couple of easy day trips to nearby towns/cities. Trains are good and inexpensive.

You will have the heat and crowds to deal with but then I can only take my main break in July/August and so have the same issues.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Reply to: Advice for August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted