We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon help: Croatia/Southern Italy in September!

Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon help: Croatia/Southern Italy in September!

Hello Tripadvisor!

I usually find these forums invaluable so I'm hoping I can get some input. My fiance and I are getting married in September and will be spending a 3 week honeymoon in Europe.

The first 10 days will be doing hut-to-hut hiking in the Slovenian Alps** (with days on either end to see Bled and Ljubljana). (**This was chosen instead of Mt. Blanc but if anyone has strong opinions and thinks we are making a mistake, let me know!)

We have been going back and forth about the second half of the trip--I've been pushing to fly to Naples, stay in Naples a few days, visit Pompeii, and go to the Amalfi Coast and potentially Ischia or Capri. We went to Rome/Florence/Venice in February and my thinking is that Southern Italy could be SUPER romantic with amazing food.

My fiance is set on Croatia--we could train to Zagreb and go from there or fly to Dubrovnik from Ljubljana--either is easy. We would probably try to stay in Split and Dubrovnik and do day trips from there--it's overwhelming to see all of the options on the Dalmatian coast!

So that's the question: Croatia or Southern Italy? I know it's a win-win but we're hoping that since the first half of our honeymoon is "low key" to make the second half a little more special. I worry that Croatia, while accessible, might be TOO touristy and with lots of families, and maybe less of the "culture" side.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

12 replies to this topic
Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon help: Croatia/Southern Italy in September!

Croatia is becoming touristy but not remotely as touristy as the Amalfi Coast, Cinque Terre, etc. Tourist season is also shorter than that of Italy. And it's every bit as gorgeous (a bit cheaper as well). Dubrovnik is by far the most touristy place in Croatia as cruise ships dock there.

Consider the stunning medieval hilltop villages in Istria, Croatia, for a quiet romantic stay, such as Grožnjan and Motovun. Look at Rovinj, too. Remarkable coastal town.

But Italy is pretty amazing, including the places you mention. Just very crowded in many popular areas such as the Amalfi Coast.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 00:48
Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon help: Croatia/Southern Italy in September!

Love your Slovenia hut hiking pick...such a sublimely pristine country! Breathtaking.

Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon help: Croatia/Southern Italy in September!

Do you think going in September will have any affect on the crowds? I know the cruise ships in Dubrovnik play a large role but I'm wondering if things will be winding down in Amalfi...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,585 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon help: Croatia/Southern Italy in September!

No it is not winding down on the Amalfi Coast then, September is very popular and busy

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon help: Croatia/Southern Italy in September!

September is still definitely high season in Amalfi and Dubrovnik, though less so elsewhere in Croatia. The Amalfi Coast is stunning but too crowded for my liking (but we are all different). Hope you get more opinions from others.

Virginia
Level Contributor
4,185 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon help: Croatia/Southern Italy in September!

I have only visited both in May, but on the forum, people repeatedly say that Amalfi's season extends into early October. There are ways to beat the crowds in both places, so you'll have to work it out amongst yourselves first! I have to say I'd be happy with either after several trip to both countries. I also honeymooned in Croatia, but I admit Italy has a slight edge on food as a vegetarian (as far as meat and seafood, I'd say they are equal).

You don't need a ton of time in Dubrovnik, see it and do day trips while the crowds descend. The natural beauty is why I like Croatia so much. And 1000 islands, need I say more? It is quite easy to squeeze in a few islands in between Dubrovnik and Split.

On the Amalfi Coast, there are several villages that are not as popular but wonderful to visit.

The short answer is flip a coin--both are great!

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon help: Croatia/Southern Italy in September!

I agree with the above. Croatia is beautiful but Dubrovnik can be done in a few days with a few islands thrown in. Personally, I found Split was nowhere near as pretty as Dubrovnik and you spend most of the time arranging day trips away. Although Split has the Diocletian's Palace unless you pay for a guide there is minimal information and you end up paying a lot to walk around some empty rooms. We actually preferred the fortress at Klis about 20 - 30mins away.

Out of the two, Dubrovnik has it for me, but the food is not as great as Italy. I'm sure it will be fab whatever you choose :)

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,899 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon help: Croatia/Southern Italy in September!

Although it is touristy, Croatia will not be so hectic as the Amalfi coast area. See about taking ferry rides to the islands. We only got to Korcula from Split and loved it. We took the ferry fro Split to Korcula and then later the very short ferry back to the mainland near Dubrovnik. Before going to Split check out Plitvice Park.

Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon help: Croatia/Southern Italy in September!

Wow-- this is super helpful!

I can't say I have complete clarity, but I definitely have a better idea of what we might want to consider. I can make my case!

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
97 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon help: Croatia/Southern Italy in September!

Both gorgeous countries.. so it is definitely a win win whichever one you choose . You are definitely choosing a good destination for your first 10 days .. Slovenia is stunning .. we eloped there in 2016 .. I'm sure you will love it!!

Reply to: Honeymoon help: Croatia/Southern Italy in September!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted