We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a question about when to purchase train tickets

Lancashire
Level Contributor
193 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
a question about when to purchase train tickets

Hi

I am looking at booking train tickets from Milan Centrale to Peschiera del Garda for 18th July 2018. And then from Peschiera to Venice on 21st July 2018. I will also be booking trains from Venice to Florence, Florence to Rome and Rome to Naples but haven't looked at prices yet.

I understand the new schedule comes out in June but have read I could purchase tickets now for a good price.

When I look at Italotreno.it/en - their price is more expensive than trainline - but isn't trainline an agent? So I would expect them to be dearer.

Will I be OK booking with trainline or should I book with the train company itself? Or does it not really matter so long as I'm happy with the price?

Also trainline asks if anyone is a youth - but Italotreno doesn't. Do young people receive a discount or is this only for Italian young people? My two teenagers will be travelling this us.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Peschiera del Garda
Peschiera del Garda
Province of Verona, Italy
Peschiera
Peschiera
214 Reviews
Peschiera del Garda, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,566 Reviews
from USD 74.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,976 Reviews
from USD 107.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
541 Reviews
from USD 395.30*
9 replies to this topic
Turin
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: a question about when to purchase train tickets

You must look the prices of the 2 competing companies: trenitalia.com/tcom-en and italotreno.it/en.

One possible explanation is that all Italo's discounted tickets are sold out on your day of travel, while Trenitalia has some cheap tickets left. Trainline, being a re-seller makes you believe they have cheaper tickets, but maybe they are just offering tickets from the other company.

You can go from A to C via B using different trains run by competing companies, just note that trenitalia won't protrect you if you miss a connection because of Italotreno. And viceversa.

Trenitalia's discounted tickets for young people are for all those who buy the relevant discount card.

Italotreno's has a family offer for everybody: https:/…italo-family

Edited: 09 May 2018, 20:19
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,045 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a question about when to purchase train tickets

The two competing operators are Italo and Trenitalia.

Trainline.eu connects to both operators' systems to sell the same tickets at the same prices, no fee or markup. Same print-at-home or ticketless delivery.

Advantage of using Trainline: quick, easy, you can see and compare both operators in the same search results and pick whichever is cheapest. It also connects to the French, German, Austrian & Spanish railway ticketing systems so you can book multi-operator journeys all in one place.

Advantage of booking direct with the operators: You get the chance to select an exact seat from a plan, a feature than you don't get with Trainline.

Disadvantage of using operators' sites, need to use Italian-language place names with Trenitalia, Trainline is all in plain English.

Mentioned in this post
Italo
Italo
169 Reviews
Formia, Italy
The Spanish Suite
The Spanish Suite
156 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Lancashire
Level Contributor
193 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a question about when to purchase train tickets

Thank you both

Lancashire
Level Contributor
193 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a question about when to purchase train tickets

NapOrsoCapo71 - Fortunately we have no connections so that shouldn't be an issue and unfortunately the family ticket is for under 14s (my two are 17 and 18) but good to know.

Man_in_seat_61 - the price was only 5 euros cheaper on trainline so I tried to book on Italo so I could select our seats - but I can't see an option for that and the seats allocated were miles apart from each other.

Is it only on the expensive seats that this is an option?

Also is it worth paying extra for the the different standard of seats - especially on a longer journey - for example when we travel Venice to Florence or Florence to Rome?

Has anyone else used Trainline and managed to get seats together despite not being allocated on the day of booking?

Mentioned in this post
Italo
Italo
169 Reviews
Formia, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,623 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: a question about when to purchase train tickets

If money is more important than speed of journey, the hourly Regionale trains from Milano Centrale to Peschiera cost €10.50 fixed price. Their times are currently online only to June 9, but are likely to be the same or similar on later dates. A ticket for one of these trains purchased online is OK for the time purchased and also for any other Regional train departing within the following four hours. There are no reserved seats.

The fast direct Frecce trains are 35 minutes faster. But they run only every two hours to Pechiera (as only every other train to Venice calls there), and are more expensive even at the cheapest reduced advance price.

Mentioned in this post
Milano Centrale
Milano Centrale
2,747 Reviews
Milan, Italy
Peschiera
Peschiera
214 Reviews
Peschiera del Garda, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a question about when to purchase train tickets

I just returned from a 3 week trip in Northern Italy and I took the train on 4 different trips. I bought my tickets just a few days before each departure and found the prices reasonable. I highly recommend the app trainline; it’s free and very smooth. You get schedules and prices of all the different lines. I also highly recommend you get first class tickets. Sometimes the app will indicate that the first class tickets are “sold out” but don’t panic, because it usually means that train didn’t have first class tickets to begin with. You’ll be tempted to buy the cheaper 2nd class tickets (I was) and that’s OK of you don’t have luggage and don’t mind taking the chance that you may need to stand. Lastly, Italo is by far the best train line to take – my Italian friends confirmed this. There’s plenty of room for your suitcase, great seats for a tired back, complementary snacks and drinks on longer trips, power sources, usb plugs and free though slow wifi. Happy travels.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Italo
Italo
169 Reviews
Formia, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,608 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a question about when to purchase train tickets

Use the official websites:

https://www.italotreno.it/en

http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

There is never a need to buy first class seats. The coach seats are all very nice so spending the extra money for first class, especially on shorter trips, doesn't make much sense.

Don't worry about having to stand if you can't get first class tickets. On trains with "classes" you must book a seat reservation. There is NO standing. The only time when you may have to stand on a train is if you book the slower regional trains which have no seat assignments. All high speed trains will have seat assignments. As for luggage, there is plenty of room in coach class for luggage, either at your seat or at the end of the carriage.

Donna

Lancashire
Level Contributor
193 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a question about when to purchase train tickets

Thanks Perilizia, good to know about the reduced price trains if we've got the time to spare.

Floh1203 - that's really useful information too - I thought we had to book months in advance (not simply days) to get the best rates on the trains. There are four of us, essentially all adults with a case each so good to know about Italia trains. I'm going to download the app now.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Italia
Hotel Italia
1,113 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Lancashire
Level Contributor
193 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a question about when to purchase train tickets