We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservations?

Parrish, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Reservations?

We are going to Italy (Rome, Tuscany, Amalfi Coast) in two weeks. Should we plan all of our dinners ahead of time or can we wait until we get there to decide where to eat?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Italy Rome Tour
Italy Rome Tour
552 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
4 replies to this topic
CA
Level Contributor
10,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservations?

The problem is where to go, tastes varying so widely. Most of our favorite restaurants have recommended on site--primarily from store clerks and hotel staff.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
894 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservations?

I would not plan everything now. If you download the Fork app, you can make reservations closer to the time you are there. It works just like OpenTable in the US. Or if a place looks good to you in your wanderings, ask for a reservation there later in the evening.

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
622 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservations?

Making reservations places you above "ordinary tourist". It shows you have an interest in the restaurant and are actually thinking about your dining experience. It can affect your dining experience. That said, we often make reservations at lunchtime for dinner that evening. Depends on how popular the restaurant is and how big. A number of the places we frequent only have 12 tables so reservations are important. With some I make the reservation a week ahead.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Reservations?

I have yet to have a different dining experience with no reservation than with one. Not sure where that happens but so far, so good.

If you have favorite places, book ahead.

I am in Rome now and booked my favorite place as it is open on Sunday when others are not and without a reservation, could miss out but I do it just days before. And I have booked only one other, the other days, just walked into somewhere that looked to me.

The Fork works great but they do not all use that facility. I had to call when I reserved the other restaurant.

Have a good trip

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Reply to: Reservations?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted