We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend driving in Tuscany to visit multiple towns

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
251 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Recommend driving in Tuscany to visit multiple towns

Hi, my partner, baby, and I will be visiting beginning of September. The plan is to fly into Venice for 4 days, take a train to Florence for 4 days, then train to Rome for 4 days.

While in Florence, we were thinking of renting a car the last two days and spending time in towns enroute to Pisa and Lucce. Since we have a baby, I think it will be easier to get around, but I will have to bring a car seat or spend money to rent one. This way we can go point to point at will and not have to wait for train or go back and forth to hotel. I am comfortable driving in Europe and have driven in England, France, Ireland, Denmark, Germany, and Czech Rep. Is this a good alternative than taking a train.

Is the drive between Pisa and Rome recommended? I noticed it takes 4 hours driving as opposed to 2 hours by train. Any thoughts. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Europe
Europe
World
England
England
United Kingdom
France
France
Europe
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Denmark
Denmark
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend driving in Tuscany to visit multiple towns

I would always recommend driving. It gives you the flexibility of stopping when and where you want and with a baby sometimes this is a good thing. If you are comfortable with driving in those places you won't have any issues with this journey. Don't look into the 2 hours vs 4 hours too much as the experience will make up for the extra time.

There is different ways you can go, go to the coast and head south or through the mainland, i have done both and wouldn't know which one to choose, both awesome

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
251 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend driving in Tuscany to visit multiple towns

Thanks for reminding me to experience Italy rather than drive through it. =D

I think we will stay in the countryside and drive around Tuscany, but we need a base between Pisa/Lucca and Piensa/Montepulcisno. Where should we pick up and drop off car for train to Rome. I keep reading Chiusi is good for dropping off since its at the train station.

We have a total of 10 1/2 days, maybe we will spend less time in Venice.

Our itinerary looks like this:

Venice 3 days

Florence 2 days

Tuscany 2 1/2 days

Rome 3 days

Should we combine Florence and Tuscany into one stay since the baby has lots of stuff?

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Chiusi
Chiusi
Province of Siena, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
CA
Level Contributor
10,166 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend driving in Tuscany to visit multiple towns

So only two full days in Venice and Rome, one in Florence. And now you propose making two more hotel changes. You could forget about the car and add to these locations, two hotel changes only.

A second possibility would be not to stay in Florence at all. Pick up a car upon arrival, drive down to the Val d'Orcia [Montepulciano, Pienza, etc] and stay three nights. Train to Rome from Chiusi , or drive to Rome. Add the saved nights to Rome and/or Venice.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Val d'Orcia
Val d'Orcia
312 Reviews
Tuscany, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Chiusi
Chiusi
Province of Siena, Italy
Sun Valley, Idaho
Level Contributor
218 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend driving in Tuscany to visit multiple towns

Agree on the advice to pare down the hotel changes you are considering...especially traveling with baby :) If it were me, I'd probably combine plans for Florence/tuscany into one 4 day chunk and stay near a smaller town in the Val d'Orcia (near Pienza or Montichello or San Quirico). You can go into Florence for a day but maybe use the other days to leisurely explore that beautiful area and visit a few towns and relax!

Mentioned in this post
Val d'Orcia
Val d'Orcia
312 Reviews
Tuscany, Italy
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Florence
Florence
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
58,518 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommend driving in Tuscany to visit multiple towns

Another possibility is to stay at or near Siena. There are places to stay nearby that have parking included. You can then easily take a day trip to Florence by using either the train or the bus. For your other Tuscan destinations, drive.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Florence
Florence
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
251 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommend driving in Tuscany to visit multiple towns

After thinking about this more, we may forgo Tuscany all together and focus on the big cities of Venice, Florence, and Rome with a day trip to Pisa/Lucca. We will save Tuscany for next time to stay at an agriturisimo longer.

We plan to take the bus from Florence to Lucca because I read its quicker than the train, and take bus from Lucca to Pisa since it drops us off right at the Leaning Tower. Any opinions on whether bus or train is better for toddlers for the short ride from Florence, and also which bus/train company is more reliable.

Does it make sense to return back to Florence from Pisa for the night and leave early the next morning to Rome, or head straight to Rome that evening. We can store our luggage at the train station in Florence. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
South East England...
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommend driving in Tuscany to visit multiple towns

VaiBus is the company for buses from Florence to Lucca and Lucca to Pisa: http://www.lucca.cttnord.it/ in Italian only.

mesh

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Los Angeles...