We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Italy with teens

California
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Italy with teens

I am thinking of planning a trip to Italy for me, hubby and 2 teenagers. I am trying to plan for 2 weeks and definitely want to hit Venice, Rome, and Florence. I would like to fit in a couple days on the Amalfi Coast however I am still considering whether that’s a good idea since it seems pretty hectic and stressful. Is there a good spot to relax and wind down after all the walking and sightseeing before heading home that would still be decent to entertain teenagers (beach or something)?

Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
59 Reviews
from USD 373.70*
USD 533.80
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
24,130 Reviews
from USD 73.70*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,128 Reviews
from USD 58.30*
8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Italy with teens

My hubby and I did a similar set up. Venice, Florence, Sorrento, Rome and then home. We found Sorrento to be a perfect "break" between Florence and Rome. Felt like a long travel day, but it worked well for our wants/needs. :)

I don't recall any stunning beaches though, but to be honest we weren't looking for them either.

Virginia
Level Contributor
4,296 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Italy with teens

What month?

Have you looked at flights yet?

Into Venice and out of Naples could work, though you sometimes have to spend the last night in Naples if you have an early flight (not that there is anything wrong with that, just plan accordingly).

If you are willing to drive, there are plenty of other choices, but that largely depends on flight logistics.

Edited: 09 May 2018, 06:41
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Italy with teens

Amalfi Coast is a bit of a chore to get to so I recommend at least three nights to make it worth while. IMO its a wonderful place to relax. The beaches are not large or sandy (made of rocks) but IMO very charming. To get sandy beaches you would need to head south of AC or to Ischia.

California
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Italy with teens

I have not booked flights yet. ISO far the cheapest flights are in and out of Rome. I know that makes the logistics a little more difficult but I have to take that into consideration when there is a several hundred dollar difference.

brisbane
Level Contributor
405 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Italy with teens

With two weeks, I would be looking for your relaxation days to be a lot closer to your three major cities. There is so much to see in those 3 destinations alone, adding 5 hours of travel time (probably more all up - fast train to Naples 1 hr 15 min, Express Train to Sorrento 1 hour plus connection times, plus a lot more if you go to the Amalfi Coast and not just Sorrento) isn't adding much to the relaxation.

Depending on your time of year, would Lido in Venice or one of the beach areas near Rome be an option? Of course, a couple of lazy days in Rome, visiting views from Janiculum Terrace in Trastevere and hanging out in piazzas may be enough down time.

California
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Italy with teens

Yes I am considering one of the lakes or something. Just want to plan a couple relaxation days. We will be going in June or July so it will be warm and during high season which is also part of why I’m second guessing the fight to get to the AC.

Virginia
Level Contributor
4,296 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Italy with teens

Round trip Rome is fine. Rome is so close to Florence by train that you can go there first, then Venice, then return to Rome.

You could also head to the Amalfi coast first (first day is rather a blur anyway), but it sounds like you want that--or where ever you choose to relax--toward the end of the trip.

I think two weeks is plenty of time for those four destinations, but your trip planning may evolve. For this summer, you would need to find accommodations ASAP.

California
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Italy with teens

Anyone know if it would be too much to do Plitvice park in Croatia added to this time frame? In addition to Rome Florence and Venice if we skipped the coast in Italy.

Reply to: First trip to Italy with teens
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted