We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grindelwald to Florence - take a break at Como?

8 posts
Save Topic
Grindelwald to Florence - take a break at Como?

We are traveling from Grindelwald to Italy by train. We want to do 2 days in Florence, A day in cinque Terre and 2 days in Rome. I need suggestions for the journey from Grindelwald to Florence. We plan to leave from Grindelwald around 9 am in the morning. One option is to go directly to Florence (8-10 hours) by train. Other option is to take a break at Como, spend evening there and start for florence next morning. This may reduce our time in Florence.

Is Como a must see place? An evening in Como worth taking a break?

Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
61 Reviews
from USD 376.20*
USD 537.50
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
24,140 Reviews
from USD 74.20*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,131 Reviews
from USD 58.70*
3 replies to this topic
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,695 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grindelwald to Florence - take a break at Como?

Grindelwald to Firenze S. M. Novella tomorrow takes 7h 40 leaving at 09.19, and only 6h 10 leaving at 12.49. These connections go the fastest route, which does not go via Como. If you want a break of journey on the fastest route, consider Stresa.

For train times all the way see https://www.sbb.ch/en but for the cheapest advance fares buy the last train (from Milano Centrale to Firenze S. M. N.) from http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en which you should also use from Como S. Giovanni or Stresa if stopping en route.

8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grindelwald to Florence - take a break at Como?

Thank you perilizia. Our Trip is end of June. Your info will help me great deal in buying tickets. Do you recommend Como? If we skip como, we can add a day trip to Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,695 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grindelwald to Florence - take a break at Como?

Where you want to stay depends on your own particular interests.

As I suggested in my first reply, if wanted to stop over on the way from Grindelwald to Florence, I would stop at Stresa not Como.

Reply to: Grindelwald to Florence - take a break at Como?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted