We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seville or Valencia

Malta
Level Contributor
497 posts
36 reviews
Seville or Valencia

Hello All!

I am planning our first visit to Spain for one week in mid August. We are a family of four with two boys aged 15 and 11. Where should I choose, Seville or Valencia? And why?

Please do not mention other cities unless they can be combined with these two as these two cities are our options for the time being!

Thank you in advance for your contributions.

London, England
Level Contributor
9,756 posts
75 reviews
1. Re: Seville or Valencia

Valencia has lovely Baroque arhitecture and is on the sea. it also as the Aquarium and the relatively new Science and Cultural centre which should keep the interest of your children.

However, as far as I am concerned I would choose Seville every time. I consider it to be Spain's most beautiful city with plenty of history and culture.

The only thing that would put me off in visitng Seville at that time of year would be the intense heat, but as you are based in Malta it may not bother you.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,795 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Seville or Valencia

From Seville you can visit Cordoba, Jerez and Cadiz by train www.renfe.es

Ronda is a bus ride away www.losamarillos.es

www.andalucia.com

www.venere.com

Edited: 06 June 2011, 10:23
Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,587 posts
155 reviews
3. Re: Seville or Valencia

I ve been to both cities and I like Valencia but love Sevilla...

With children Valencia might suit you better (beach).

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
52 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Seville or Valencia

We spent time in Valencia last year (our children are similar ages). The children did not enjoy their time their, my husband and I loved it.

It was very hot, public swimming pools are scarce and culture is not their thing.

We are off to Valencia this year and I feel they will enjoy their time their more

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
44 reviews
5. Re: Seville or Valencia

I'm trying to decide between the Valencia and Seville as well but haven't yet. xiki66, Have you decided which city to visit? If so, why that city over the other?

Can somebody provide the top 2 attractions of each city? I'm in either city for only 2 days...but still undecided.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Seville or Valencia

I was twice in Sevilla and several times in Valencia

My first visit of Sevilla was in August and it was terribly hot , even in the evening s. The only thing I saw was a packed public swimming pool and I was happy to get back from there .

I returned another year in October and loved the beautiful sights in Sevilla. .

Both towns have much to see, Sevilla has some more historic monuments , Valencia has historic monuments and the modern City of Arts and Sciences.

In August Valencia is much better because it is not that hot , you have a beach and it cools a bit down in the evening

Sevilla is great in April and during the easter week

Edited: 27 July 2011, 19:35
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
44 reviews
7. Re: Seville or Valencia

Thank you Molineros!!! That was a great summary and just what I needed to decide. Any dining recommendations near the Westin Valencia?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
13,671 posts
97 reviews
8. Re: Seville or Valencia

Café Infinito is very good, only 0.8 miles away :-

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187529-…

I have stayed in the Westin Valencia, excellent hotel. Have a great time!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
44 reviews
9. Re: Seville or Valencia

Thanks Welshtraveller. Any menu item recommendations at Café Infinito?

Bangkok, Thailand
1 post
10. Re: Seville or Valencia

I think you've made your decision already, but I hope it's not too late to share some experience of mine. I went to Sevilla last year in August for a weekend visit. The city is breathtakingly beautiful, though I was told Granada would be better. I had fun even though I was traveling alone. I'd revisit but it might be another time of the year as during summer the heat is incredible (I decided to sleep during the day and walk around one night and had an old man (a pure stranger) as my city guide who ended up to be just a creepy old man). The typical things to see: La Giralda, El Real Alcazar, Parque Maria Luisa, Plaza de España, Barrio de Santa Cruz... Climb La Giralda for the city view and I had quite a good impression of Sevilla, however, I haven't been to Valencia. I am going there in September for a very long stay.