We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renfe 1st class worth it?

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
270 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Renfe 1st class worth it?

I'm taking the Renfe train from Barcelona to Valencia. Is it worth paying more for 1st class instead of 2nd class?

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Valencia
Valencia
Province of Valencia, Spain
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renfe 1st class worth it?

well it really depends...

I do this route quite a few times per year for business... as my company pays I go 1st. It includes use of the business lounge at the stations (not sure how useful for a tourist traveler, but they are nice places to rest and with free drinks& snacks). They receive you with a glass of juice/wine, and later you're served breakfast/lunch/whatever. The quality of food is much better than what you usually get on airlines.

So, it is a great way to experience 'travel in luxury'

When going on my own I usually take 2nd class that's very comfortable as well (the seats on 1st are wider). It makes no sense for me to pay extra for an 'experience' that is not new to me, but I would recommend to anyone who's willing to try and can afford it

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renfe 1st class worth it?

Second class is comfortable and it arrives at the same time as first class. Go second, and use the saved money for other things during your holiday.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renfe 1st class worth it?

well as I said above I would probably not pay the extra being not a new experience, however, booking Euromed via web in advance ('web' fare):

- 1st: 40.50

- 2nd: 24.70

If the trip is at lunch or dinner time... I'd say 1st works not as expensive as you save a meal :)

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Renfe 1st class worth it?

Hi,

In Prefernte class space between seats is wider although I think that the seat is the same as in Tourist class, I think that it is up to you the decission. The trip takes 3 hours and probably it is not worth for you the money difference just for a snack or meal (it depends on the time of the train)or a free welcome drink or a drink (alcoholic or soft drink) after the meal/snack and free newspapers.

When I travel for work I always use the Preference class, the company pasys for it but if I'd travel by myself I think that the tourist classs is good and confortable enough and if you're hungry there is a bar with drinks, snacks and cold and hot sandwiches in one of the cars of the train.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renfe 1st class worth it?

I would go Preferente (2nd class). The first class configuration is more like a compartment, but I really don't know if you travel alone you have a whole compartment to yourself...4 seats around a table. In Preferente the seating is similar to airlines...with more legroom etc. but the food is much better than airlines. I think you should try that at least

...rather than Economy/tourist just to see what rail travel can be. Service, comfortable and very decent food.

I should add that tourist is OK, but snacks rather than a multicourse meal.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renfe 1st class worth it?

Another bonus which I haven't used for a while is the

VIP Waiting Room / Sala de Espera which is available to 1st and 2nd class passengers. This provides you with separate airconditioned confort with snacks, soda, beer, wine (free) plus national (Spanish) press.

Can anyone confirm or update me on this? I thought

this was would some extra money...especially in the summer.

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,639 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renfe 1st class worth it?

Just to follow on:

We're doing the Valencia- Barcelona trip on the Euromed. We've got Preferente tickets via the "estrella" deal, it was actually cheaper than the tourista price!!

The train leaves Valencia at 11:05, so can anyone advise on what type of meal we are likely to get?

Is there a Preferente Lounge at Valencia- Nord station and if so what time can we use it from?

TIA

Mentioned in this post
Valencia
Valencia
Province of Valencia, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renfe 1st class worth it?

You can use the lounge while waiting for your train to be announced. I don't know of anyone who has been there more than 30 minutes ahead of time, but as long as you have a ticket for that day there shouldn't be a problem.

9. Re: Renfe 1st class worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2010, 17:19