We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Wellington Society of Madrid

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
545 posts
Save Topic
The Wellington Society of Madrid

The Wellington Society of Madrid is a historic society dedicated to research, education, and cultural activities concerning the campaigns of Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington. It is not a tour company, but offers historic walking tours of Madrid and day excursions to offset the costs. Membership is required in order to participate in their walking tours, private tours, custom tours, Tapas Theme Tours or day excursions offered by the Wellington Society.

http://www.wellsoc.org/WellingtonTours.htm

Edited: 11 April 2011, 06:36
New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Wellington Society of Madrid

Some background information.

Here is the United States on the public TV stations there are a few travel programs, one of them is called Globe Trekker which I will watch sometime as of the travel destinations are off the beaten path. Their program on Northen Spain first got me interested in visiting Compostela and Salamanca years ago, which I proud to say I did visit them and they are fanastic places to visit.

Now the story (could be boring for many)

Globe Trekker has some new DVD out and I watched the one on Madrid last night. As I was watching what the host did with her seven days in Madrid, I was surprised I saw someone I meet five times during my two trips to Madrid. On the sixth day the Chairman of the Wellington Society, Stephen Drake Jones gave the host a short tour of Madrid Civil War.

He was much more subdued than I remember him in that short few minutes I saw him on my TV. But Globe Trekker and New York Time are using him; so he must be a very busy man in demand.

pilotguides.com/tv_shows/globe_trekker/shows…

Atlanta
Level Contributor
421 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Wellington Society of Madrid

I am now a proud member of the Wellington Society and look forward to my tapas walk in September.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Wellington Society of Madrid

"I am now a proud member of the Wellington Society and look forward to my tapas walk in September."

The Chairman now gives tapas walks?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
421 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Wellington Society of Madrid

Check out the website. It is not ALL about tapas but he includes some stops.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Wellington Society of Madrid

I am hoping Robert gets on this one. He has another opinion.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Wellington Society of Madrid

I been on two of the Chairman's tours, even went out with his wife visiting a few tapas bars before dinner.

But I do see on his website he does now give a Wine tour. Looking forward to go on more tours with him when I am in Madrid this coming October.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Wellington Society of Madrid

Revulgo2, where did you dig this up from?

"Globe Trekker and New York Time are using him; so he must be a very busy man in demand" doesn't carry a whole lot of weight with people in the business and even less with me, but then I'm a fan of P.T. Barnum.

As far as knowledgable guides go, Madrid has a number to choose from, all licensed, insured and professional. One of the best for cultural tours in the city and surrounding area is Madrid-Museum-Tours.org.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Wellington Society of Madrid

Thank you, Robert!

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Wellington Society of Madrid

I took the Hemingway/Spanish Civil War tour and just loved it!! Stephen gave me a personalized tour of Madrid that was terrific. Because he is a historian he comes armed with historic photographs and facts. For any one reading this I highly recommend taking a tour with the Wellington Society. Its fun, fascinating and Stephen is great company! ..better still you get a free membership to the Wellington Society.... and if you are really interested..he knows all the best bars in town.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Wellington Society of Madrid

Please, enough already!!! No more recommendations when there are actually some great guides willing and able, and they pay taxes. Let the NYTimes send its "reporters" far afield for some local insight if they must, but a "free membership" in the Wellington Society" is worth just that.