We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

query about flower festival

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
32 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
query about flower festival

Hi Everyone,

We will be arriving in Barcelona on Saturday May 19th and i just got to know about the flower festival of Girona from May 12th to 20th. I want to visit Girona however I was planning a day trip on Monday since we will be tired after our log flight from India and wanted to take it easy on 20th. Also I read in this forum that weekends get extremely busy during festival.

My question is will there be any installations left for us to see if we visit on 21st that is a day after festival formally ends? Or do you think we should absolutely must visit Girona on Sunday ignoring jet lag and excessive crowds.

Thanks

Samta

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Girona
Girona
Province of Girona, Spain
5 replies to this topic
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,792 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: query about flower festival

I've not yet been to the Flower Festival but I have been to a lot of Catalan festivals and I expect that a day late will be exactly that. If you want to go, go during the festival.

You're only coming from India. There's not much reason for jet lag if you manage it well. For us the key is to normalise to local times as quickly as possible. Don't sleep in the daytime but go to bed early on your first night to get a long night's sleep. We had return trips from the UK to New York (similar length flight) and Sydney (much further) and avoided jet lag. It's mainly about planning.

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: query about flower festival

If you have the opportunity then I would certainly recommend going. We visited Girona when the festival was on and it was a fabulous day. There are creations etc all through the town and they are such brilliant pieces. The atmosphere was also really enjoyable.

Mentioned in this post
Girona
Girona
Province of Girona, Spain
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: query about flower festival

You go there for scenery and sight-seeing, not for activities, right?

I think it is reasonable and logical to believe that those pretty decorations, especially flower display of the Festival, would not be removed or cleared overnight, right?

So, one day difference should not matter or bother much in your itinerary planning.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,792 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: query about flower festival

Wrong on all three counts, I'm afraid.

Many people visit places for all sorts of activities.

I've seen stages constructed for huge events in Catalunya taken down in a matter of hours. Even the main stage for La Mercè disappears the morning after the festival finishes.

I'm loathe to link to the Daily Mail but the 2nd photo down on this shows that stage and the 4th one shows the gates of hell that completely block Via Laietana during the correfoc of the same festival.

dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2…

The street is back to normal very soon after the parade finishes. As I said before, I haven't been to Girona's flower festival yet, so it could be different there but we do attend between 3 and 8 Catalan festivals each year (minimum 4 in 2018 but probably more) and one day late is too late for all of them.

The rest of the photos, which are rather good, even though some of the captioning leaves a lot to be desired, shows why many modern tourists have moved beyond basic "scenery and sightseeing" or beach holidays.

Girona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Girona
Level Contributor
729 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: query about flower festival

All the displays are removed on the Sunday evening. In fact, most of the flowers are taken away by the locals that evening and all that you will see on Monday is lots of trucks and workmen taking down the materials that were used to display the flowers or form the installations.

It is very much worth a visit. The first weekend is busier and the 2nd Saturday will be busy but if you arrive early on the 2nd Sunday most of the visitors will have gone and, assuming the weather has not been too wet during the week, the displays are still in good shape.

Reply to: query about flower festival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Girona