We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transportation strike

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
public transportation strike

We will be in Barcelona for MWC in a couple of weeks. My husband just heard from a friend in Paris who is also attending MWC that there is a planned public transportation strike Feb. 27 through Mar. 1. Has anyone in Barcelona heard about this? Where would we go to find more information? We will be staying near the University, and he was planning to travel by metro to Plaza Espanya every day.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
5,768 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: public transportation strike

Yes, there are a public transport workers strike planned those days. We will see what happens at the end, but at least should be minimum services at rush hours.

Moreton, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: public transportation strike

Oh great! Im there 25th-27th. Will need to arrange other transport to get to the airport

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,503 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: public transportation strike

Aerobus is private and shouldn't be on strike...

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
5,768 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: public transportation strike

it is a TMB (metro and bus) workers strike, so RENFE should work without problems.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: public transportation strike

So, would our best option be to A-hope the strike is minimal, and husband can get from Ronda Universidad to Plaza Espanya with minimal problems?

B-Count on using taxis everywhere that isn't walkable

C-Rent a car?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,503 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: public transportation strike

Don't rent car. It's very hard to park.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
18,440 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: public transportation strike

Agree absolutely, no point in renting a car, parking is very expensive, it's more that than the issue of how easy it is to find somewhere to park really. You are basically going to be using car-parks (inside/underground) as there are very few spaces on the street, and they are taken up mainly by residents. Bicing parking and bike lanes have cut down the amount of street parking hugely.

Ronda Universitat to Plaça Espanya is walkable unless you have heavy stuff to carry/pull along. Otherwise a short taxi ride.

Edited: 09 February 2012, 08:08
Atlanta
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: public transportation strike

I totally agree about not renting a car, however, my husband is sort of determined to rent a car instead of relying on taxis. He will be wearing dress shoes, and carrying a heavy briefcase, so will not want to walk. Hopefully as the time gets closer, some Barcelona residents can give me an update on how the strike will play out. Is there a link somewhere that I can use to get updated information?

Anyway, hopefully I can dissuade him from this car rental idea......

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
52,687 posts
3,395 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: public transportation strike

Debat:

When I go to Barcelona, I use taxis all the time. They are convenient and I do not find them expensive. Most of the time in town my bill for each ride was about 6 euros, which for me is very affordable.

Parking in garages will cost between 25 and 30 euros a day.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
5,768 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: public transportation strike

main problem renting a car is that you could park it close to your hotel/apartment without problems (paying parking obv.), but around conventions center you need a miracle for it, so the only possible option renting a car is that you "work" as private driver and take car back to your appartment zone.

if you stay on ronda universitat, i guess that best option is that your husband walk to plaça catalunya and goes to bus #9 first stop (in front of carrer bergara). then sure he can go in, cos busses should be really packed, and wait to stop number 2 could be a risk.

my personal opinion is that at the end there will be no strike. economy is not going well, this are important days for the city and citizens are tired of all this public workers strikes (bus drivers did a 15 days strike some years ago, it was a mess and i don't think we accept it again).