We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year in Barca

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scarborough
Level Contributor
750 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
New Year in Barca

Love the city and know her well, but never visited over New Year. Can only fit a trip in then this winter.

Would arrive 28th and leave 1st.... Are Tapas bars etc open and not too busy... we would have my parents with us so won t want too much pushing etc.

I m guessing restaurants will be doing inflated priced menus and not much up our street as we don t eat meat. If the city takes on a different life at this time will probably leave it.

Know about the 12 grape thing at midnight does that happen in the big squares.

Any advice appreciated

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,309 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year in Barca

Actually Spaniards mainly celebrate at home incl eating the grapes and only go out after midnight (if at all) so I don't think there are many places with special meals at inflated or normal prices. No fireworks either (Germany is good for that).

If you check on forum search you will find posts about this, I think the tourists who come expecting big celebrations have made some celebrating happen (maybe mainly in the Irish bars and other "pubs"?)

Another year think about going to Rome, Italy seems to celebrate New Year a lot more publicly than we do here (incl with major copen-air concerts etc)

Scarborough
Level Contributor
750 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year in Barca

Thanks... TBH I expected as much. Think we will probably leave . Normally treat my parents to a Barca trip in Jan but they need us with them now and I can t get away due to work.

Will have to think about another Christmas present!

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,183 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year in Barca

ponymad - you might consider Germany. Most towns and cities celebrate NY in a big way with lots of people out on the streets and loads of fireworks. We're heading to Berlin this time. Heidelberg was enchanting a few years back and Frankfurt fun, especially along the river.

I've been in Spain at NY once and whilst it is always worth a visit, there was not much special from a tourist standpoint about the holiday and lots of places were closed. As Lynda points out, it's mainly a home/family thing. However, it's still Spain so better than being some places. We went to Birmingham last year.

4. Re: New Year in Barca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 06:16