We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Towns between Barcelona and Madrid?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
460 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Towns between Barcelona and Madrid?

We're in the very early stages of planning a trip to Spain in May/June. As of now, we're hoping to fly into Barcelona and out of Madrid. We'll stay a few days in each city, but we'd also like to spend some time in smaller towns in between (maybe two nights in two different towns).

We'll be traveling by train between Barcelona and Madrid. Can anyone recommend two or three nice towns/smaller cities we might visit between Barcelona and Madrid that are easily accessible by train? They don't necessarily have to be on the direct route between Barcelona and Madrid, but we don't want to spend an entire day traveling either. We're looking for towns that have some things to see and do but feel like an escape from the bigger cities.

Thanks!

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Towns between Barcelona and Madrid?

It would help to know how much time in total you have for your trip.

It is only 3 hours by train from Barcelona to Madrid so it doesn't take much travel time. Depending on the total time for your trip I'd likely be more tempted by cities like Toledo, Segovia & Avila (all near Madrid) or Girona, Tarragona, Montserrat ( near Barcelona) versus the cities between Barcelona and Madrid.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Towns between Barcelona and Madrid?

Zaragoza is a 'hidden gem' just between Barcelona and Madrid, on the AVE train line. It well deserves a full day (so, 2 nights). A town usually overlooked by tourists (at least by non-Spanish tourists) with lots of Aragonese Mudejar (moorish-style architecture), Roman remains, some fine Gothic examples... and fabulous food and wines.

On the other hand, I do agree with CathyDM above, you can easily do daytrips to very nice small towns from both Madrid and Barcelona (saving you packing/unpacking/changing hotels hassle and time)

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
460 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Towns between Barcelona and Madrid?

Thank you for the responses. We'll be in Spain for about eight nights. This will be the final leg in a longer vacation. We don't necessarily have to start in Barcelona or end in Madrid. I just thought we could fly into one and out of the other while seeing a few places in between.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Towns between Barcelona and Madrid?

You will love ALL the places listed above, Toledo is South of Madrid, but very fun. Good luck and have fun. Hubie

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Towns between Barcelona and Madrid?

With only 8 nights total for both Madrid and Barcelona I wouldn't stop in between. You have just barely enough for these 2 cities. You may be able to squeeze in a daytrip but I wouldn't forego any of you already limited time to stop between the 2.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,682 posts
3,568 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Towns between Barcelona and Madrid?

dave:

I would spend some time in Zaragoza. This city is skipped by most tourists, but it is a beautiful city with many things to see. Read the top questions in their forum page.

7. Re: Visiting Towns between Barcelona and Madrid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2012, 16:15