We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to deposit rental payment directly into account?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
8 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe to deposit rental payment directly into account?

The apartment owner I am planning to rent from has asked that we deposit 50% of the total payment into her bank account as a rental deposit. She gave us all of her bank account info to do so. Is this a normal thing to do in Spain? This seems kind of fishy to me because this isn't really something we do in the US. I just don't want to get scammed.

Thanks

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to deposit rental payment directly into account?

I also found it totally creepy the first time I did it, but it is in fact the way they do it in Spain, and the only way around it is to use an agency, which may cost more. Make sure the owner is known to be trustworthy - ask around, check reviews.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,460 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to deposit rental payment directly into account?

Why don't link the apt. website here so that forum members can have a look?

I recall your first post about honeymoon but no other questions from you. Before you send your money, it would be a good idea to ask the forum members about the apt. and its owner.

Edited: 01 March 2011, 07:04
Austin, Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to deposit rental payment directly into account?

Sure! Thanks for the help.. here is the link to the apartment.

flipkey.com/barcelona-condo-rentals/p263827/

This specific apartment doesn't have any reviews yet. Has anyone had any issues with renting an apartment through flipkey?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,460 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to deposit rental payment directly into account?

This apt. is listed by Flipkey, which is a Tripadvisor affiliate. Have you read the Flipkey About Us page? If you are satisfied with their connection to TA and if you believe the comment about verifying apts. and owners, then you should be okay.

From the balcony, the view of Casa de les Punxes is nice!

barcelonaturisme.com/Casa-Terrades----Casa-d…

Austin, Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to deposit rental payment directly into account?

Thanks for the help! I'm guessing it will be okay.. just feels pretty sketchy.

And yea, we love the view from the balcony! It was a great find for the price, after many weeks of searching. Just gotta settle on one apartment and move on!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,460 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to deposit rental payment directly into account?

Please don't pay right away. Pls wait a day or two and let other members have time to comment.

Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to deposit rental payment directly into account?

I rent apartments out in Vilanova and Sitges. Don't pay 50% it is too much for a deposit unless they offer a credit card system e.g. PayPal. I ask for 30% and many ask for less. The remainder should be paid on arrival once you are satisfied with the accommodation. At least at worst you only lose 30% of the cost.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,460 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to deposit rental payment directly into account?

VPS has made a very interesting point. I just checked my own reservation for this summer with Friendly Rentals and I paid only 25%, not 50%.

VPS, could you comment on the direct payment to the bank account?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
18,382 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to deposit rental payment directly into account?

I always pay 50% deposit for the apartment rental in Pals, and yes by bank transfer because bank transfer is the standard the way payments are made in Spain. People don't actually send cheques (which has been the normal way in the UK) and not everywhere accepts credit-cards. So for example you can make charity donations to the Red Cross acct etc, although it's true they do often also accept donations by credit card these days.

In Germany even more than here in Spain bank transfer has always been and remains the norm (as credit-card use is much lower than UK/US/Canada/Spain). In fact we actually pay for Airberlin flights with a bank-transfer from our German acct and I have paid for a furniture delivery in Berlin that way too. Other countries other customs......

Bank transfer can be quite expensive though and there are charges at both ends for international/foreign exchange transfers. To pay 150€ deposit for a small rental deposit for Croatia (ie non-EU, and actually in kuna) my bank told me it would cotst 60€, so I used Western Union for "just" 18€ instead

Quite a lot of apartments do want 100% before you arrive and I can see the point that if you don't turn up they have lost any possibility of renting to anyone else so total loss of income. In Pals I pay the rest on arrival but I think if we cancelled very last minute we'd be liable for full charge.

Edited: 01 March 2011, 19:52
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to deposit rental payment directly into account?

Most EU people pay into our account but for non EU people it is cheaper to pay the charge using their credit card because banks on both sides charge a ridiculous amount. I take the risk of people not turning up but it has only happened once in 7 years, because of illness. Most peole have insurance so you can still be paid. In this case they weren't insured but it was a shoulder season booking which I probably wouldn't have filled anyway. So as a gesture of good will I held their deposit against a visit later in the year.

There is no reason now why renters can't use a PayPal system to assist people to pay by credit card. We use our friends hotel VISA system because it's cheaper and more convenient for us.

iThere are some companies that charge 50% deposit but I still think 50% is a hefty deposit and I don't know any other rental business in Vilanova or Sitges that expects this amount. I also think that full payment on arrival is better once our guests are happy with the apartment but then that's part of our quality control and pride in what we offer.