We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona crowds

Barcelona crowds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2018, 03:30

Best Seller
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
3,164 Reviews
from USD 44.70*
Best Seller
Montserrat Tour from Barcelona...
716 Reviews
from USD 111.77*
Best Seller
City Sightseeing Barcelona Hop-On...
2,543 Reviews
from USD 35.30*
13 replies to this topic
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
14,068 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Barcelona crowds

One of the top destinations in the world which is also an economically successful city has crowds? Who knew?

It's quieter in winter but still busy. Perhaps February, but avoiding the lovely festival? It's definitely quieter then, but there will still be lots of people.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Uruguay
Level Contributor
3,049 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Barcelona crowds

I've always found it pretty easy to get away from the crowds. I hate crowds to the point where I can get physically sick from being stuck in one for too long. So perhaps, over the years, i've developed strategies to stay away from them, but i've rarely had a problem with crowds in Barcelona. Anyway, the crowds are always in certain places at certain times. Most of those are not where I would want to be, anyhow.

Edited: 22 July 2018, 01:56
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Barcelona crowds

Just like any international city crowds will be there. I will say though i can always find quiet spots with places to get away from the crowds. Anywhere central generally is crowded and in fact Plaça de Catalunya is more like Disneyland everyday. Barcelona is the visited city in Spain and indeed in the world. I find January and februarys crowds are down

Edited: 22 July 2018, 02:14
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
70,568 posts
3,788 reviews
4. Re: Barcelona crowds

Yes, Barcelona gets the most tourism in Spain. I like to go there in October when the crowds have thinned.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,046 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Barcelona crowds

nancy, if you found crowds everywhere you were not going to places not frequented by tourists. Barcelona is a big city, much of which is away from the crowds of tourists. Obviously, the city also has some of the biggest tourist attractions in Europe and they will be quite busy during the high season. Where were you looking for places to eat that you had these problems? When you state a problem without a description no one can offer a solution for you.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,576 posts
55 reviews
6. Re: Barcelona crowds

Even in August, which is probably the peak time for tourists you only have to go a couple of blocks away from the Maremagnum, Les Rambles, Plaça Catalunya, Passeig de Gracia axis and the other tourist pockets to get away from the crowds, in fact once you are away from them it can feel almost deserted as so many locals leave the city for cooler places in August

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
207 reviews
7. Re: Barcelona crowds

I don't know if this is true or not but one of our taxi drivers told us Barcelona 3 million people, now 7 million with tourists. We were there from 7/12-7/20/18. We also experienced lots of people, traffic, and yes, it was hot and finding a spot in the shade to rest was a challenge. My husband and I are in our 70s and are divided about our opinion of Barcelona. Hated the crowds, traffic, heat. Loved the architecture, food, general ambiance of the city. Blown away by Sagrada Familia. We were there for 3 hours!! Now in Valencia and staying at the beach but so are a lot of tourists like us and locals. 😎

Edited: 22 July 2018, 15:57
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
14,068 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: Barcelona crowds

An edit to my earlier post. I meant to say "the lovely festival of Santa Eulalia" (because that causes some crowds to gather.

We love crowds, especially, as is often the case in Catalunya, they are gathered for a purpose. Many of the real crowds in the region are composed primarily of Catalans, because lots of tourists have no idea what's going on, especially the caterpillars of day trippers and cruise boat passengers whose guides don't have briefs that include topical information and who can't make any extra money from kickbacks etc. from it. Placa de Sant Jaume will be packed from side to side on the castellers day during Santa Eulalia but only a small percentage of them will be visitors.

People above make valid points about how easy it is to get away from crowds. This hold true to every major city I've ever visited, Even in central London you are never more than a few minutes from tranquility, but if it's tranquility that you are looking for from a holiday, major city breaks might not be for you. We will be in Barcelona in three weeks time. We do our research properly so we're aware that it will be hot - hotter than July - but we absolutely have no concerns about finding a shady place to sit and eat - or indeed just sit. However if these sorts of things are a concern, come to the forum and ask the question before you go, next time. You'll have a much better experience. The people who have replied above have a wealth of experience of Barcelona, either from living there or from numerous visits. We can recommend areas, streets and specific restaurants to suit all kinds of requirements. But for your second ever post on the forum to start by telling people to avoid the city just sounds like trolling.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
8,690 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Barcelona crowds

Barcelona population is around 1'6M, 4'5M adding the area 30km around it.

in 2017 there were around 20M "pernoctations" on hotels.

tourist numbers are huge, but the problem is that most of them stay together in a small area.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
834 posts
10. Re: Barcelona crowds

"I spent a year there in the 70's and it has changed so much.". I think this is a case every-single-where-in-the-world, right? Did you really expect the city to be exactly the same as 50 years ago? Just think if Chicago has changed or not in 50 years and you'll get your answer.

If you would like to visit at a very quiet time, come the first 3 weeks of December or the last 3 weeks of January. You won't see the crowds at that time of the year. It's winter so you won't have to cope with the Summer heat (only the Winter cold ;-) but you'll get a table outside, no problem.

Another option to avoid the crowds is not visiting a major tourist destination in high season ;-)

Reply to: Barcelona crowds
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted