We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona to Biarritz. Train or car?

2 posts
Barcelona to Biarritz. Train or car?

We’re in Barcelona for 4 days. Then Biarritz, FRA for 6 and Toulouse for 1 and fly back out of Barcelona. Would we be best suited driving or taking the train?

We would like to visit San Sebastián, but not crucial. Any advice? I’m good with manual transmissions, but perhaps should I be concerned with road rules and border checkpoints? We have a car reserved already, but unsure if it’s the best plan.

Discuss. Thank you.

Best Seller
Montserrat Tour from Barcelona...
725 Reviews
from USD 111.28*
Best Seller
Priority Access: Barcelona Sagrada...
3,169 Reviews
from USD 44.50*
Best Seller
City Sightseeing Barcelona Hop-On...
2,545 Reviews
from USD 35.20*
4 replies to this topic
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Barcelona to Biarritz. Train or car?

There are no borders inside Schengen. You pass a sign that says france and that's it.

Palafrugell, Spain
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Barcelona to Biarritz. Train or car?

No need for a car in Barcelona if you're just in the city. But the Basque country (France and Spain) is worth exploring, so driving will give you more flexibility. The train journey is about 8-9 hours. A car is nominally faster, but will work out about the same once you factor in stops and rest breaks (and you really would want to stop and see some places on the way). The fast routes and easiest driving are on the autoroutes. Off the autoroutes driving will be more sedate (and windier close to the mountains). Use Viamichelin.com to check for road tolls. Gas/petrol is cheaper on the Spanish side of the border.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Uruguay
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Barcelona to Biarritz. Train or car?

Altough my personal choice would to travel as much as possible by train, you could fly Vueling to Hondarrabia and take a bus to Biarritz. Once you're there, you could rent a car for a few days to explore the region. I would not drive there and back. Trains and planes are faster, more practical and often cheaper.

You could also take a train to Hendaye and the Ouibus to Biarritz.

Edited: 10 July 2018, 04:55
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Uruguay
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Barcelona to Biarritz. Train or car?

That should read Hondarribia a.k.a. Aeropuerto San Sebastián. I mixed it up with its French name, Fontarrabie

Reply to: Barcelona to Biarritz. Train or car?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted