We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Suggestions

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
136 posts
19 reviews
Itinerary Suggestions

Hi there,

Would it be possible to get the opinion of all of the experts about the draft itinerary below? thank you!

Monday, May 7

Hotel check in /dinner (Almanac Hotel)

Tuesday, May 8

v Sagrada Familia

v Park Guell

v Hospital de Sant Pau

v Placa Catalunya

Wednesday, May 9

v Day trip to Montserrat

Thursday, May 10

v Las Ramblas/Gothic Quarters

v La Boqueria food market,

v Casa Batllo

v Casa Mila (La Pedrera)

Friday, May 11

v Barceloneta beach

v Explore El Born: Picasso Museum, Santa Maria del Mar Church, Parc de La Ciutadella

v Magic Fountain show 21:00 - 22:00

10 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Tuesday looks a bit hectic - but you can certainly try to fit it all in. Don't forget to book places like Sagrada Familia well in advance, and turn up promptly to your allotted slot. We booked online and downloaded the confirmations to our smartphones, which worked well. You can make up your own mind, but on advice from friends we visited at 3.30pm, and the afternoon light coming through all the different coloured stained glass panels was breathtaking. I'm sure some Barcelona experts will chip in with more expert knowledge on different destinations, so safe travels and enjoy this outstanding city.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,967 posts
171 reviews
2. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

You should book ahead for Park Guell and Picasso Museum as well.

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
136 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Thank you for your tip about visiting Sagrada Familia in the afternoon, that was going to be our first stop, but we will change it :) We are really looking forward to this, its a very different type of vacation for us so want to soak in as much of the culture as possible. I am also wondering about the Montserrat trip, I've seen that we can easily take a train there, but I would also like to visit some (or at least one) of the wineries close by. Are there any good transportation options to wineries or should we just plan on a guided tour that includes this? Thanks again for all of the feedback!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

There are also trains to Penedès if you want to visit wineries. As well as combined tickets to go cheaper:

…gencat.cat/es/…

For Montserrat look at www.fgc.es

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
136 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Thank you for the train links! This will be great, I have to look at the transport map, but good to know we can connect to tour wineries (hopefully we will have time)!

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,431 posts
3,815 reviews
6. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Prebook the Sagrada Familia Basilica, the Palau de la Musica Catalana, Park Guell and the Picasso Museum.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
236 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

I assume these are the sights you’ve decided are most interesting to you. If it were me I’d skip La Rambla and the Picasso museum (which is focused on a period of his work that doesn’t appeal to me) and instead go the Museum of the History of Barcelona (Roman ruin excavation). Also, I’d put aside at least two hours to walking around Eixample (where your hotel is) to experience the architecture (including Casa Battlo and Casa Mila, but also walking the streets throughout the area both left and right of Passeig de Gracia) and another two hours to wandering Montjuic, which is lovely. On a walk I’d stop at one of the many neighborhood markets to see what the non-touristy ones are like (Mercat de la Concepcio, 5 blocks from your hotel, is nice).

But it isn’t me, of course.

Edited: 14 January 2018, 19:59
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
22,187 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

Hospital Sant Pau is a shortish walk from Sagrada Familia so it makes no sense to do things in the order you have them that day

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
80 reviews
9. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

I would do the Gothic Quarter on the same day as El Born, Sta. Ma. Del Mar and Picasso Museum, because they're on the same route and area. And from the Gothic Quarter you can go to Las Ramblas and reach the Boquería market. The beginning of all this walk, could be from Plaza Catalunya, going down by Plza. of the Pi.

Casa Batlló and Casa Milá are on another route, walking towards Pº de Gracia.

Good luck!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Itinerary Suggestions

I agree with Ana and I would also note that some of the points on the itinerary are really nothing more than a quick walk. Thus, there is really nothing to spend time poring over in Pl. de Catalunya; it is just a central place through which one passes. Similarly, Las Ramblas can be strolled down, but a little bit goes a long way as it is basically a kilometer or so of tourists and businesses catering to them, with a few notable places sprinkled along the way, and access to better places to spend time. Also, it is not clear if you intend to go inside both Casa Batlló and Casa Milá but if so, considering where you are staying, they can easily be added on in spare time (and note that they can be accomplished in early evening, before dinner and after the major sightseeing of the day. To me seeing them back to back is a bit of overload. I think holiday travel should be relaxing so simply walking around your area ought not be subject to a schedule. See how you feel and adjust as needed. As noted, in Eixample in particular, just walking around is like going to a museum. Finally, I consider the Picasso museum to be a major destination and a very important key to his work that cannot be replicated in any other museum in the world. But as the French would say (how is this expressed in Catalan?), à chacun son goût.

Reply to: Itinerary Suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted