We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far in advance are strikes planned?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
44 posts
10 reviews

My husband and I are coming to Barcelona Nov 18th. We would like to take the train to Madrid on the 22nd. We would only be in Madrid a couple days, and then need to come back to Barcelona to catch our plane on the 25th. (Yes it's a short trip-long story) I've been reading about transportation strikes, and wondered if we should not plan on a train trip if there are planned strikes.

We are not worried about our safety as far as the demonstrations are concerned as we just plan to avoid it all. But if there are strikes that prevent us from getting to Madrid that could really complicate our week.

Is there a way of finding out when there are potential planned transportation strikes?

Thank you.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
72,704 posts
3,830 reviews
1. Re: How far in advance are strikes planned?

The train strikes (when they occur) are not 100%. I would just turn up at the train station at your appointed time.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,918 posts
75 reviews
2. Re: How far in advance are strikes planned?

Swimwendy I'm sorry to say this but how long is a piece of string,in other words it could be two weeks notice or 2 days notice given for planned strikes,but as Benny said even when announced there not set in stone,the last lot didn't go ahead,plus the strikes don't mean no trains or public transport just less of it,so as suggested by Benny just turn up and hope there's a train,you could always pop into sants station the day before and check if the train is running,my guess they will know by then if running or not.

Eileen

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,083 posts
116 reviews
3. Re: How far in advance are strikes planned?

I am planning to strike the Town of Sitges and the City of Barcelona next May.

Others may not plan their strikes that far ahead.

If there is a Public Transport strike then Taxis are always available and reasonable in and around Barcelona.

Enjoy

Anthony

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
62,942 posts
175 reviews
4. Re: How far in advance are strikes planned?

Strikes can be planned weeks to even months in advance. The notice can also be as short as a couple of days. The last general strike occurred two days after the October 1 referendum. It was not planned before that vote.

Actually, during a general strike, you might even have problems finding taxis. I talked to a couple who were in Barcelona during the general strike day. They could not find a taxi. They ended up dragging their bags for 45 minutes through the streets to reach the train station to pick up their rental car.

Edited: 02 November 2017, 20:19
Barcelona
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
5. Re: How far in advance are strikes planned?

By law workers must announce a strike at least 5 days but in case of a public service, like trains, it must be announced 10 days in advance, and usually they announce it before that.

As mentioned, essential services will work, even if there is a strike, but in reduced capacity. The lever of service is published in advance.

SammyF1oyd, the October strike was announce long before October 1sth but the exact דcope of the strike and the reason they gave for the strike changed after the October 1st due to the events during that day..

Edited: 02 November 2017, 20:35
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
62,942 posts
175 reviews
6. Re: How far in advance are strikes planned?

I am not aware of any strike announcement for October 3 prior to the October 1 referendum. I was in Barleona and then Priorat during that period. I was keeping myself updated regarding the (eventually cancelled) airport strike. There were no other strike plans I was aware of. Also, I was booking activities in the region on that date as well. Bookings were accepted well in advance and even confirmed just a few days before October 3. On the day of the strike, everything was just closed. Also, nobody at the TA forum mentioned any strike possibility on October 3 prior to the referendum.

Obviously, I am not a local so maybe my news sources didn't quite give me the complete information. I did my very best though including reading Spanish news websites.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
7. Re: How far in advance are strikes planned?

I'm sure you did not hear about the possibility of a strike and that you've constantly checked sources but it's hard to know such things if you're not a local.

There were posts on a possible strike on this forum, like in the following links, but you've probably missed them.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18749…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18749…

As I said, the scope of the strike was not predictable as due to the police violence more unions joined the strike and many private businesses closed down as well.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
8,926 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: How far in advance are strikes planned?

SammyF1oyd,

on 21th September (news published on the 22th) were "registered" possible strikes from 3rd to 9th October.

elperiodico.com/es/economia/20170921/huelga-…

once the official process is open those strikes can happen, as on the 3rd october or be cancelled.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
44 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: How far in advance are strikes planned?

Thank you everyone for responding. We booked our train tickets to and from Madrid and will just see what happens.

In 2010 we were in Greece when the protests were beginning there. Our plane out of Athens was delayed by a few hours, and it caused quite a ripple effect in our journey home itinerary.

Thanks again for all the insights!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
62,942 posts
175 reviews
10. Re: How far in advance are strikes planned?

Still, I don't think anything was set in stone. I arrived in late September, and there were no strikes planned at that point, at least in a concrete way. Anyway, even if it's "registered", it doesn't help the traveler one bit in terms of advance warning.

>>>on 21th September (news published on the 22th) were "registered" possible strikes from 3rd to 9th October.