We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Barcelona right now?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
25 posts
Is it safe to travel to Barcelona right now?

I see a lot of stuff in the news and online about some civil unrest in Barcelona. I am set to be in Barcelona in mid Oct. Is it safe right now?

351 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Uruguay
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Is it safe to travel to Barcelona right now?

Unless you plan on joining in the protests while you're there, you should be ok.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,344 posts
157 reviews
2. Re: Is it safe to travel to Barcelona right now?

Read similar posts down the list. It is about referendum vote on October 1. Like anything, it is a big city with isolated protests. Walk 3 blocks away and you don't know anything is happening. This city returned to 'normal' (relatively speaking) within days of a terrorist attack. I expect by the time you get there the election will be old news. If not, just avoid any protest by moving out of the way. Remember this is not a country who practice the right to bear arms, so violence is less a result.

Edited: 21 September 2017, 07:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,124 posts
116 reviews
3. Re: Is it safe to travel to Barcelona right now?

If the weather is fine in Barcelona you do have the right to bare arms but shoulders should be covered when entering a place of worship.

Enjoy

Anthony

Province of Girona...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Is it safe to travel to Barcelona right now?

See post 6. from an American caught up in a demo'

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187…

A lot safer than Tennessee. 228 murders in Memphis alone in 2016. Maybe something to do with bearing arms. Anthony! LOL

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
22,838 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Is it safe to travel to Barcelona right now?

Mid October is not "right now", and as a British politician once said "a week is a long time in politics" .

In any case, as already mentioned, any protests that happen, for whatever reason, are in very restricted areas

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
6. Re: Is it safe to travel to Barcelona right now?

I always feel safer in Spanish cities than I do in many other cities, especially some in the US. As with anywhere keep awake and aware. I'm in Barcelona now and wish I never had to leave. It was only when there was a cacophony of banging of pots and pans in the courtyard outside my window last night that twitter informed me of the ongoing protest in another part of the city. Today I haven't encountered any protest in several large tourist areas.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Is it safe to travel to Barcelona right now?

Thanks for this update. We arrive in Barcelona on October 9th and it is hard to get up to date info re: tourists. I will look forward to reading your views on the situation if you can post again in a few days.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
72,845 posts
3,830 reviews
8. Re: Is it safe to travel to Barcelona right now?

Just avoid areas where there are demonstrations and you will be safe. Barcelona is a very big city and they will not be demonstrating everywhere.

However I think that tourism will fall in this beautiful city because of all of the negative publicity it is getting.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
14,253 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Is it safe to travel to Barcelona right now?

Benny's almost certainly wrong. Whilst demonstrations and strikes are not impossible, the people who seemed to be the main focus of concern, at least on here, the ordinary people of Catalunya, behaved immpecably yesterday even in the face of extreme provocation. If anything, given the activities of the officials involved, it's the rest of Spain that might suffer in the long term. We've been discussing a trip to Andalusia next year. We are currently reconsidering. There is a more than remote possibility that the handling of this event by the government could result in a movement across Europe to get Spain to change, possibly similar to the anti-apartheid movement of the last century. It will, of course, be a 21st century version, internet and social media led, but France, Italy, Greece etc. could benefit.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24,233 posts
292 reviews
10. Re: Is it safe to travel to Barcelona right now?

I have always wondered why especially Americans choose Barcelona and think it represents the Spain that is in all the tourist brochures.You know - the flamenco, the fashionable shops in Madrid, the wonderful legacy of the moors, the beautiful landscapes and coastlines of Northern Spain, the enormous variety of accommodations throughout Spain. I agree with BennyMalaga and think tourists will think twice about visiting. Politicians will be able to stir up controversial actions in short notice. I don't want to be in some sort of Mexican standoff situation.

Reply to: Is it safe to travel to Barcelona right now?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted