We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish stopover from Lisbon to Bordeaux

Wigtown, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Spanish stopover from Lisbon to Bordeaux

Planning a road trip with kids (10,13) in October. We.re in France and 4/5 hours from San Sébastien and Bilbao and Intend on using that as a 3 day stop heading south before going to Porto and Lisbon. But heading home I can see several Spanish cities I do not know and was hoping for a tip on which/where to break the journey. We can do two nights or possibly three so we get to see the sights. Salamanca looks promising but is possibly not the midpoint... Valladolid and Burgos look better placed. Thoughts? Advice from those who have done it before?

4 replies to this topic
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
69,968 posts
3,785 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish stopover from Lisbon to Bordeaux

Salamanca has more to see than Burgos or Valladolid. In Salamanca they have just opened the Monterrey Palace to the public.

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish stopover from Lisbon to Bordeaux

Valladolid would be last on the last. I think it calls itself 'city of museums'. Nuff said.

Salamanca IS probably a bit close to Portugal for your purposes. With Burgos it is rich in history, I guess it depends on your attitude to travel. If you're expecting to have 3 days worth to do IN the city it's a bit optimistic, but if, like us, you use it as a base to see all the outlying towns by car, armed with your guide book then it would be a great stop.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish stopover from Lisbon to Bordeaux

Yes, I totally agree with John. Burgos itself as a city doesn't have a huge amount to do for three days (cathedral, castle actually has interesting underground tunnels which kids will like), but there are excellent day trips from there, and it's an easy city to negotiate and use as a base.

For day trip ideas, check out:

Covarrubias medieval town

San Pedro de Arlanza ruined monastery - fun to explore

Santo Domingo de Silos (gregorian singing monks and beautiful cloister) and nearby Desfiladero de la Yecla (cool vulture spotting and walk ways)

Raices de Castilla - Oña, Poza de la Sal & beautiful Frias make a good day trip triangle - Poza and Frias have great castles for kids, Tobera near Frias also has great waterfalls.

Lerma medieval town

Orbaneja del Castillo - hanging village in the Ebro gorges with waterfalls, cave and great 1 hour circular walk to curious chozos above the town and views back down - good for kids of that age

Wigtown, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish stopover from Lisbon to Bordeaux

Thank you all, very helpful suggestions - OH has now announced he would be happy to go a more southerly route which would make Madrid itself an option for perhaps 3-4 days and then perhaps a night or two in Burgos or San Sebastián on the final push home. I’ve not been to Madrid so it definitely holds appeal.

Reply to: Spanish stopover from Lisbon to Bordeaux
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Valladolid