We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Discussion

Sussex
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Discussion

Before you zap - please could someone tell me where to find a discussion about hotel/aparthotel check in times here on TA? I looked at off topic chatter but it's so "off topic" it's not even travel related. I've noticed over the last ten years how check in times are getting later and later. Even worse in the US where 4pm is fairly common. What next? 6/7pm? Breakfast the next day? 2pm used to be pretty standard so why are we all just putting up with this? My parents said they would be thrown out after breakfast by hotels/b&bs in the 60s and "not allowed" to return until 5pm. Of course rooms have to be cleaned but that was always the case. Are we going back to doing as we're told? Anyway - zap away and I won't be offended but please tell me where to go first (forum-wise I mean heheh).

Posada Terra Santa
Posada Terra Santa
#1 of 77 hotels in Palma de Mallorca
Ca's Curial
Ca's Curial
#2 of 37 hotels in Soller
AH Art Hotel Palma
AH Art Hotel Palma
#2 of 77 hotels in Palma de Mallorca
11 replies to this topic
Tynemouth
Level Contributor
5,130 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Discussion

Couldn’t you sleep LL heheh - long past my bedtime!!

I agree about the check-in times getting later, especially annoying for us hand luggage only lot! That said, most places are happy for you to drop your bags of at whatever time. But I do think that check-out times have improved over the years, with 12 noon being quite common these days.

Velez Rubio
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Discussion

Isn't the issue that if check out times are later, then almost inevitably check in times will also need to be later, in order for the rooms tober serviced.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
385 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Discussion

Other than a search on the hotel's own website I can't think of anywhere else to look, especially if the thread is old as may have changed. 3pm does seem common now but we've generally found that if we've turned up earlier then they'll either give a room out if there's one ready or keep your luggage safe until check in time if that helps at all?

Sussex
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Discussion

Haha B&P I'm not at home - that's probably why. True about check out times being later. 10am used to be quite common - still happens though. I find 12 noon is the exception. It's getting harder to arrange an early check in - even if you offer to pay. I guess what I'd like to see is a bit more flexibility - some options; paid or otherwise. If you have to hit the road early (for work or a road trip) you are paying a lot for around 13 hours' use of the room. So if you could choose early check in/early check out it would be great. Anyway thanks for replying and forgive the off topic rant.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
11,547 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Discussion

My own rant about hotels (and apartments as well) is that they never provide enough hangars.

Having packed carefully one clothes into a case (maybe hold luggage or just carry-on bag), one needs to unpack them on arrival at the hotel and hang them all up asap. And are there enough hangars to do that ? No, never, not even at the luxury 5 Star hotel we stayed in recently.

So we always pack a lot of lightweight hangars with us, in the top of each suitcase.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 19:23
Tynemouth
Level Contributor
5,130 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Discussion

Blimey, how many ‘planes do you have KWUK?

..... sorry, couldn’t resist!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
825 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Discussion

Clever B&P!!

I quite agree with KWUK, the only hotel we have ever been in that supplies enough hangers is Fowlers in Cala d'or where we stayed last year. I even made a point of mentioning the hanger situation in my review of the hotel, it was so refreshing not to have to double or even treble up items or use all the ones we'd brought with us.

Funnily enough we have been quite impressed with checkin/out times in Majorca, some hotels actually ask at time of booking for an ETA which is really unusual but very helpful. 2pm seems standard but we arrived at S'Olivaret near Alaro before midday in 2016 and our room was ready for us. But as you say, early check in is bound to have an impact on checkout times............personally this isn't a problem as this year our flight home is before 8am so we will definitely be checking out super early that morning.....

Mentioned in this post
Cala Santanyi
Cala Santanyi
175 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Alaro
Alaro
Majorca, Spain
London
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Discussion

We have booked extra nights that we don’t use in the past because of inconvienient check out times (relative to our flight). Think it’s very depndent on the place, and to be fair, trying to turn around rooms / apartments after someone has left for the next person isn’t an easy task, especially if there’s a lot on the same day.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Discussion

I’ve booked a hotel for 2 nights in June for a bit of retail therapy in Can Pastilla and check in is 3pm and out by 11am.

Some shopping in Palma and a few World Cup games while the girls spend the dosh.

Perfect break.

SAC

Mentioned in this post
Palma Suites
Palma Suites
371 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Sussex
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Discussion

B&P - hahah! Not like KWUK. I agree that Mallorca is better than many. Chunky - same here in fact that's what started me on the rant. I've had to do that twice this year. I phoned a hotel to be told they couldn't tell me until we check in - in October. I know what you mean about hangers but it's not an issue now that we go hand luggage only most of the time. When it is a problem I just phone for more. It's lack of hooks - on the back of doors etc. Where do you hang wet coats etc - not that you ever need one in Mallorca obvs.

Reply to: Hotel Discussion
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted