We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Hermida gorge road closure dates

NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
La Hermida gorge road closure dates

Just received an e-mail from the hotel we are staying:

“We regret to tell you that we have been informed by the Spanish authorities that road N-621 (from Panes to Potes, that´s La Hermida gorge road) will be closed some days in May and June due to the construction of some bridges.”

I can’t clearly see the closure dates. Planing to drive on Monday June 18th.

Please help. Thank you!

8 replies to this topic
Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
113 reviews
1. Re: La Hermida gorge road closure dates

I've recently posted about this in the Cantabria forum: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187…

I'm afraid it is indeed closed on Monday June 18th.

NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: La Hermida gorge road closure dates

Thank you so much RatonCantabria!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: La Hermida gorge road closure dates

Hi RatonCantabria - does the notice mean that the road will only be closed between midnight and 13:00 on each of the days? I was planning to travel from Santillana Del Mar to Potes on 6th June.

Thanks.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: La Hermida gorge road closure dates

Hi RatonCantabria - does the notice mean that the road will only be closed between midnight and 13:00 on each of the days? I was planning to travel from Santillana Del Mar to Potes on 6th June.

Thanks.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: La Hermida gorge road closure dates

Thanks.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
113 reviews
6. Re: La Hermida gorge road closure dates

No. It's closed from midnight Monday (as in Sunday/Monday midnight) right through to Friday at 3pm (this Friday I think they managed to open it again at 1pm). The road will be closed on 6th June. Sorry!!

The alternative route which they're officially giving is via A67/Aguilar de Campoo/Cervera de Pisuerga/Puerto Piedrasluengas. However, a prettier option, and depending where you're actually setting off from, is up the Nansa valley, via Polaciones, nearly to Puerto de Piedrasluengas, and then down the valley to Potes. Both are long round trips though.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: La Hermida gorge road closure dates

Much appreciated, thanks. The detour will add an hour onto my journey, but that's not a problem.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
113 reviews
8. Re: La Hermida gorge road closure dates

I like your attitude! Alex who also appears on the forum a lot has been there recently when the road has been closed and said it's lovely and quiet up there, no tourist buses, so I reckon worth it! We're thinking of going up there during the week in June (taking the detour) just to experience it like that!

Puerto Piedrasluengas has great mountain views too, and if you go via Aguilar - also worth a stop and a wander if you fancy a drink on the main square or by the river or a scramble round its little castle ruins. The Parador in Cervera also has great mountain views from its terrace, which is open to all (it's a little out of town, but signposted). There's also the lovely church in Piasca which is worth a visit on the way down to Potes if you like the Romanesque, and in the Nansa valley, if you go that way, Tudanca is a very traditional village, and you've also got the Soplao cave and El Chufin cave (needs advanced booking and isn't always open). There's also a visitor's centre in Pesaguero on the way down to Potes.

Reply to: La Hermida gorge road closure dates
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Asturias