We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling Andalucia for 8 days by car???

Which Seville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United States
Level Contributor
211 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling Andalucia for 8 days by car???

I hope I can get some help with my itinerary planning. My wife and I will be traveling in late September. We enjoy exploring cities and towns, walking around, eating with and meeting the locals (not tourist places), and taking in the beauty. We do not like museums.

After 4 nights in Madrid, our itinerary has us in Seville for 3 nights. After Seville, we plan on renting a car and traveling around Andalucia for the next 8 days.

Our initial list includes, Jerez (sherry tasting), Cadiz, exploring at least 2 "pueblos blancos", Rhonda, Granada, and beach time perhaps at or near Nerja and/or Malaga. We are also toying with a quick drive into southern Portugal to Tavira.

Then we would need to end up in a location where we easily and economically can get back to Madrid for our flight home the next morning.

I would appreciate your ideas and comments on this itinerary, and perhaps a suggested route to follow?

Also any ideas of great locations where I should overnight? Currently I thought we would overnight in Cadiz, Rhonda, Granada, Malaga, and the Parador in Carmona. One night stands are OK with us.

Your advice is always appreciated.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,650 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling Andalucia for 8 days by car???

markinnova:

I would go from Seville to Carmona, Cadiz, Jerez de la Frontera, Ronda, Malaga, and Granada, in that order.

Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online.

Read the top questions in the forums for each city you want to visit.

There is no free parking in cities and hotels charge 11 euros for parking a night.

Use the Via Michelin website to plot your trips.

You will enjoy Andalusia.

Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling Andalucia for 8 days by car???

Yes, I agree with Benny that it is best to visit all the places near Sevilla and then move inland.

If your sole reason for including Jerez is to taste sherry, I would drop that choice. The sherry tours are industrial affairs and you are shunted around along with the rest of the crowd of visitors. Just go into any bar in Seville and you will be able to taste as much sherry as you want in a much nicer environment. If you drop Jerez, that would free up some time.

"One night stands are OK with us."

That´s fine. However, for many places that usually means that all you will get there is a half-day. It takes time to drive there, find your hotel and get parked, check in, unpack...etc. If you do all that in the mid-morning, it will be lunchtime by the time you emerge from your hotel, blinking in the strong sunlight, and time to start looking for somewhere to eat. That will not leave much time for sightseeing afterwards.

Ronda (note spelling if you want to Google the name) is a fine, manageable mountain town with perhaps a surprising amount to see and do. I live in a white village just outside Ronda (see my profile) and love going into town. If you want to know more about Ronda and the surrounding area, do post again. Meanwhile, here is the Ronda tourist office website which I think is quite good.

http://www.turismoderonda.es/indexeng.htm

Edited: 05 April 2012, 15:44
United States
Level Contributor
211 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling Andalucia for 8 days by car???

Thanks for the responses:

Benny/Tony,

You did not include any of the white villages. Do you suggest I NOT visit those? You also excluded Nerja. Do you suggest I skip that town also?

I also take it that you suggest I skip a drive to Tavira in Portugal. I always use viamichelin to plan my car routes.

Yes ,we would like to stop in Jerez to see the horse show and tour and taste sherry. I know that some are commercialized, but I have some recommendations of more family-run places. I would like to keep that as a visit while traveling from Seville to overnight in Cadiz. Do you suggest I drive, or can I take the train and still visit some sherry bodegas?

I would normally take the train or bus, but I thought if we wanted to visit the white towns and go to Carmona, a car would be a better option.

As always, your help is appreciated.

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling Andalucia for 8 days by car???

I´m afraid we found Tavira very uninspiring.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,397 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling Andalucia for 8 days by car???

"I have some recommendations of more family-run places" .... very sensible and one or two of the ones that I have visited have resulted in no car driving afterwards ! Yes I know you should not swallow but......

So if you are fortunate with your Sherry visit you can taste from the very dry Manzanilla to the very sweet Pedro Ximénez and you will be glad of the taxi to the train afterwards.

I personally visit Arcos quite a lot because of its unique nature of large 'pueblos blancos'. Sort of grows on you with the variety of old building plus all the tapas bars or hotels you would want plus it is easily reached from Seville or Jerez by bus. Arcos grows on me. The more you get to know the town the nicer it becomes. There is more than meets the initial eye. In late September or perhaps early October they will hold their annual town Feria de San Miguel which lasts about 3 or 4 days.

I would mentioned in case of interest that the Transportes Generales Comes bus company of Cadiz province has a daily bus starting from Cadiz at a civilised time of around 09.30 which passes through Jerez and Arcos before going to some other towns on its way to Ronda by Noon.

It is also worth mentioning that from Jerez and Arcos you can take a bus to Ubrique which is fairly remote town famous for its leather industry. From Ubrique it is possible to take a bus to Ronda via Benaocaz and Grazalema to Ronda. This journey is very nice and scenic run by Los Amarillos.

For times on Los Amarillos look at this page and insert a date in the immediate future. It does not like dates too far ahead and you get a better idea of bus times and frequency. .

http://www.losamarillos.es/venta/busqueda.jsp

And by the way, Carmona is possible by the CASAL bus from San Bernardo in Seville.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,704 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling Andalucia for 8 days by car???

As stated Carmona is a 45 minute bus ride from Seville, no car needed for that one. If you want some nice beaches, there are nice beaches around Cadiz, saves a trip to the east coast. By doing this you could spend a couple days in Ronda area and see more than two white towns. Just a idea, good luck and have fun. Hubie

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
229 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling Andalucia for 8 days by car???

Your only problem here is choosing among so many wonderful possibilities! All the options mentioned are great, you won't be disappointed with any of them.

That being said, I have to cast a vote for some of the White Towns. They're beautiful, atmospheric and well suited for visiting by car. Personally, I absolutely love Arcos. The view OF the town spilling down from its cliff top perch, the view of the surrounding countryside FROM the town, watching a sunset from the Mirador, and walking the narrow, atmospheric streets at night are all very special. Grazalema, Zahara and Setenil are also well worth seeing, as is Olvera. The whole area is breathtaking.

I like BennyMalaga's itinerary, but if possible I'd add in a White Town or two between Jerez and Ronda. The Parador in Arcos is a wonderful place to overnight!

Whatever you decide to do you're going to have a great time!

Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling Andalucia for 8 days by car???

The difficulty with trying to recommend any white villages/pueblos blancos is that they exist the length and breadth of Andalucía, itself a very large region, and they come in all shapes and sizes. So you would need to choose, if you like, a mini-region.

You then need to decide if you want to visit small villages, or towns such as Ronda (population 37,000) and Arcos de la Frontera (population 31,000).

As I said in #2, "I live in a white village just outside Ronda (see my profile)" and that is slap-bang in the middle of a mini-region of white villages that have populations of 500 - 2000. Arcos de la Frontera is a town and that too is considered a pueblo blanco.

If you want to know more about the white villages around Ronda, just post again. (You can also Google "Montejaque" for photos of the village and surrounding mountains.) There is also plenty of information on the web about Arcos for you to read.

Good luck with your planning.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling Andalucia for 8 days by car???

Grazalema and Zahara are 2 white villages you can't go wrong with. Nerja doesn't do it for me and Malaga is a great place to end up because you can take the AVE train back to Madrid.

10. Re: Traveling Andalucia for 8 days by car???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 06:17