We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First day in with rental car before hotel becomes available

14 posts
First day in with rental car before hotel becomes available

Coming to Malaga Airport next week on Sunday morning. We are getting the rental car over five hours before we can check in the hotel so I am looking for a place were we can go for those hours. I am hoping to find a secure place for our rental car because all our luggage is of course inside it and most probably in plain sight.

I wouldn't want to sit around without anything to do but doesn't have be anything special either. Good place to eat and little bit shopping (is anything open on Sunday?) and walking around is enough. Kid friendly is a big plus. Hotel is in La Cala Mijas so everything between Malaga Airport and that is fine.

10 replies to this topic
scotland
Level Contributor
20,365 posts
366 reviews
1. Re: First day in with rental car before hotel becomes available

I'd drive up to Mijas Pueblo , just above Fuengirola , park in the secure car park ( 1 € pd) wander around , and it should only be about 15 minutes back down to La Cala

Tyrone, N.Ireland
Level Contributor
558 posts
216 reviews
2. Re: First day in with rental car before hotel becomes available

I'd go to hotel early and leave the luggage there before going on to do whatever you like without the worry of the luggage.

14 posts
3. Re: First day in with rental car before hotel becomes available

Leaving the luggage at the hotel would be my first choice but the reception is closed. So other options are in demand:)

The first reply seems to be a fairly good option.

14 posts
4. Re: First day in with rental car before hotel becomes available

Any suggestions what car parks are actually secure and were car full of valuables can left for several hours? Also what to do on a Sunday near that location?

Greater London...
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
13,537 posts
129 reviews
5. Re: First day in with rental car before hotel becomes available

Mijas Pueblo multistorey is only €1 a day and is as secure as it gets I think, but there are no guarantees that someone might try to break into the car and the fact that you leave it unattended anywhere means that if you are broken into, your insurance will not pay out for any losses as you weren't with your possessions.

In Mijas Pueblo there are lots of restaurants and fabulous views, there are also the donkeys but please don't ride them, they aren't well treated and there is a campaign to improve their lives. Mayan Monkey in the main square make chocolate and have a little factory where you can make your own bars of chocolate and there is the shrine of the local saint,.

Having said all that, I wouldn't leave my car unattended anywhere

14 posts
6. Re: First day in with rental car before hotel becomes available

I read earlier about the Mijas Pueblo donkeys and am aware of the situation. We are planning on visiting a donkey sanctuary near Antequera.

I would be willing to pay more for the parking if that gives more security. It might be that we have no other choice but to leave the car unattended. I do not wish to spend five hours sitting somewhere watching the car. Is there something in for example Benalmadena. We would like see Paloma park and might be combined with this?

Edited: 13 May 2018, 16:34
Greater London...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,537 posts
129 reviews
7. Re: First day in with rental car before hotel becomes available

No car park is totally secure, even with CCTV and an insurer will not cover you if you leave your car unattended. Which car hire company are you using? Helle Hollis now have lockers where customers can leave their luggage but not sure if others do this. Maria Zambrano station in Malaga also has lockers which you could use but best way to get there is on the train. You could delay picking up your car and go into Malaga and drop the luggage off at the station and then go back with it later but that's a bit of a trek.

There is no secure parking near to Paloma Park as far as I know, I'm sure Mantalk would be able to confirm this. Where in La Cala are you staying? If its a hotel then I'm surprised that the reception wouldn't be open. I know that some small apartment complexes run by families often don't open on Sundays.

14 posts
8. Re: First day in with rental car before hotel becomes available

Car rental company is Helle Holis so that option might work. Hotel is one of those Rci timeshare hotels and the reception seems to be open only certain hours of the day.

Greater London...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,537 posts
129 reviews
9. Re: First day in with rental car before hotel becomes available

I think its a bit of a stretch to call them hotels, but I know some booking agents (inc RCI) call them that. We used to own a timeshare in Calahonda and still have private rentals at one of them and the reception was nearly always open but at the smaller ones, which are often family run, Sunday is their day off.

Speak to Helle Hollis and they will let you know if the lockers are available when you pick up the car that will be a good result :) . You can then drive off to wherever you want to go before checking in. Paloma Park is lovely (although the lake is drained at the moment) . There are some lovely Chiringuitos along the paseo in Torremolinos and a great walk all the way to Benalmadena marina.

14 posts
10. Re: First day in with rental car before hotel becomes available

I agree that they are "hotels". It wouldn't be my first choice but a close family member had points about to expire. I do like the option to cook myself though. Some of the ingredients available in Spain can never that fresh in Finland.

Thanks Ceejayblue :)

Reply to: First day in with rental car before hotel becomes available
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted