We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The H10 hotel and buses

Estepona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Estepona
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
585 reviews
Save Topic
The H10 hotel and buses

The H10 is a very attractive hotel with lovely public spaces. Its outside space is a bit limited, but that's because it is mainly taken up by their pools. Who could complain about that?

It is at the furthest limit of the town before we venture out into the open countryside. Walking to the Marina along a broad tree-lined pavement alongside the road is no pain. It takes about 20 minutes. Here there is a wide selection of bars and restaurants most of them catering for international tourists, so there are Irish bars, Italian, Indian, Thai, Belgian, American a really big range.

Walking along the pretty flower-packed Paseo Maritimo seafront promenade for a further 15-20 minutes takes you to the beginning of the flower-decked Centro Historico and all the Spanish bars and restaurants and shops of the centre.

For taking the bus you have the L1 bus. Its advantage is that the first time you get on, pay €3 and buy a card from the driver, then pay another €5 or €10 euros to put money on it. Just buy one. You can then use this card for as many people as you like, as it issues an individual ticket for each time that you put it on the reader. So a group of 4 of you - or 14 - can all pay with the same card. And on the L1 there's a flat fare of €1.20 for wherever you go, but it is only €0.60 with the card. 5 people trravelling once and you've paid the €3 for the card, then you are in profit. Get off either at El Puerto for the Marina, or Estepona Centro for the town.

The drawback of the L1 - speaking as somebody who lives alongside its route and knows - is that it is only every 40 or so minutes, and *** not very good for timing ***. In my bitter experience you need to be at the bus stop a good 5 minutes before the advertised time (the hotel will show you a timetable) because it can come early or late.

For a day out in Marbella or Puerto Banus, you get the 79 bus near the Marina - outside the parade of shops and bars. 1/4 to and 1/4 past the hour. You could catch the L1 there or walk.

Best wishes

Mentioned in this post
Estepona
Estepona
Costa del Sol, Spain
Marbella
Marbella
Costa del Sol, Spain
Puerto Banus
Puerto Banus
Marbella, Spain
7 replies to this topic
England
Level Contributor
6,255 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The H10 hotel and buses

Does the 3Eu card last indefinitely?

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
67,138 posts
3,764 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The H10 hotel and buses

Very good information!

England
Level Contributor
6,255 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The H10 hotel and buses

T-I has started answering questions before they've been asked!

Estepona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Estepona
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
585 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The H10 hotel and buses

Yes, Trickster.

Once you've paid for your card, unless you lose it (in which case you have to pay for a new one), it goes on for ever. Unless it gives up the ghost for some technological reason, I suppose, like your phone going wrong.

When you put it against the reader, it prints and issues a ticket, and tells you how much money is left on it.

Last week I got on a bus that didn't have a reader. I stood there poised with my card and said "So how much are you going to charge me since there's no reader? "

The reply was "I am not going to charge you anything - too much faffing around to set the manual ticket machine for a special price. Pay twice next time you get on, if you see me."

:-)

Best wishes

England
Level Contributor
6,255 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The H10 hotel and buses

Will definately get one next time.

England
Level Contributor
6,255 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The H10 hotel and buses

How does this sound?

Me gustaría una tarjeta y poner cinco euros en ella, por favor

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The H10 hotel and buses

We waited for the bus outside Estepona Palace for 90 minutes and ended up getting a taxi at 6 Euros. Taxi was cooler and worth the cost.

Mentioned in this post
Estepona
Estepona
Costa del Sol, Spain
Reply to: The H10 hotel and buses
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted